Popular on eTradeWire
- Las Vegas Walk of Stars to Honor Frank Shankwitz 318
- Miller Homes Yorkshire Shares Ambitious Plans At End Of New Homes Week 2019 291
- Jes Marie's "Party in the Sun" may just be the song of the Summer! 279
- National Recording Artist Bre Naí has a Live Performance in Louisiana: Media Alert 6/7/2019 9:30PM 148
- Brothers Awarded Civil Air Patrol Congressional Gold Medal 145
- Island Intellectual Property Sues StoneCastle for $172 million 110
- Defining Digital: Extremist Content Chided, Super Mario Maker 2 Teased, Netflix's "Lelia" + more 106
- New Major Bed Bug Class Action Lawsuit Against Marriott Hotels
- Formula Cloud: Titans Microsoft, AWS, Alibaba and Oracle Traverse Cloud by Building Partnerships
- The Big Bang's "Super Asymmetry" Isn't Just Bazinga
Similar on eTradeWire
- Silvergirl Sterling Featured at Sweet Lilly Ru for Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament
- Silvergirl Sterling Returns to Orlando in September 2019 for Surf Expo
- V for Very Stylish. Wrights Plastics create POS display for Laura Vann jewellery range
- Movie about a Woman's True Beauty wraps Principal Photography May 2019
- Platinum Season of Love at Jewelove
- Everjewel Announces the Launch of the World's Largest Online Jewelry Marketplace
- Fit for a Queen: Arabel Lebrusan unveils the Crown Collection
- Steven Zale Appointed Exclusive Agent For Rare Diamond Offerings
- Time Out for Jewelry! A Mother's Day Trunk Show
- Impromptu Shareholders Casual Interview with Steven Zale founder of ZMRK
I have been committed to ethics in the jewellery sector for more than 12 years and, for me, the definition is pretty simple: it is gold that is sustainable. In my business, there are currently three options that meet this criteria – certified Fairtrade gold (https://www.arabellebrusan.com/pages/fairtrade-...), certified Fairmined gold (https://www.arabellebrusan.com/pages/fairmined-...) and recycled gold (https://www.arabellebrusan.com/pages/beautiful-...). But when you look at Chopard's definition of ethical gold – "Gold acquired from responsible sources, verified as having met international best practice environmental and social standards" – it is broader and, unfortunately, less rigorous.
More on eTradeWire News
- Leading PEO, INFINITI HR, Attending PrismHR LIVE 2019 in Boston
- Ferguson Case Orr Paterson Partner Named to 2019 "Rising Stars" List
- A Willow Valley Historical Romance
- IFA Selects Daniel Mormino, SVP of INFINITI HR, to the IFA Supplier Forum Advisory Board
- Tattoo tycoon open to radio interviews
The source of Chopard's ethical gold includes artisanal mines that are part of the Fairmined and Fairtrade schemes. So far, so good. It is the second origin of Chopard's so-called ethical gold, RJC Chain of Custody gold, that I have to object to, though. Sourced through the company's partnership with RJC-certified refineries, it does not, I believe, meet the standards required to be classified as ethical gold and should not be described as such.
A recent article written by Advocacy Directory Jo Becker for Human Rights Watch (HRW) explains why this is the case. In it, Becker points out:
"The RJC plays a very important role in the jewelry industry, but its standards do not yet represent industry best practices. While the standard requires companies to document the transactions by which they acquire their gold, it does not require them to conduct human rights assessments on the ground. This means that the gold could still be mined under abusive conditions, such as child labor."
The RJC CoC is a responsible code of conduct, but it's not as sustainable as the other options like Fairtrade and Fairmined. Artisanal mining and responsible sourcing specialist Levin Sources, explains the differences between being "responsible" and being "sustainable" in her latest blog "Responsible versus Sustainable sourcing" (worth a read!).
I agree with Becker that the Responsible Jewellery Council is doing a great job moving the jewellery industry forward in terms of ethics, and that is exactly why I am also a member!, but we must be very careful not to compromise the powerful message that accompanies ethical gold. While Chopard has used its voice effectively to promote ethical gold on a world stage, it is vital that we question Chopard's decision to label the RJC Chain of Custody gold it will be using as ethical.
More on eTradeWire News
- Phen375 Enabling Individuals to Attain their Summer Body in Time for the Season
- Swiontek Retires, Mathiowetz, Schmid Promoted at Americana Community Bank
- Health Conundrums – Solved Inexpensively and Privacy Protected!
- TheOneSpy Rolls Out Non –Rooted Android spy app for cell phones
- Dates announced for the 12th Annual Whale Shark Festival in Isla Mujeres, Mexico
"Ethical is subjective while sustainable is defined in the Sustainable Development Goals SDGs from the United Nations". Estelle Levin. Levin Sources
I'm certain that customers who have made the decision to buy ethical gold will assume that the human rights of those who mined the precious metal are protected and there is a watertight story of sustainability behind their purchase. To dilute the definition of ethical gold will result in disillusionment among customers and undermine the fantastic work of organisations such as Fairtrade and Fairmined who are committed to producing 100% ethical gold.
You can read all about Arabel Lebrusan's ethics on our website (https://www.arabellebrusan.com/pages/beautiful-ethics), and we'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.
About Arabel Lebrusan. Beauty in Design, Craftsmanship and Ethics
Arabel Lebrusan took her Masters in Jewellery Design at Central St Martins and went on to become Creative Director at Leblas Jewellery, leaving two years later to create her own brand of unique designs. Arabel commissions only the best craftsman in the UK and her native Spain and insisting on precious metals and gemstones that have been sustainably and ethically sourced.
- \Café Centro in West Palm Beach Celebrates the Birthday of Singer/Showman Rob Russe
- Transaction Announcement - Escape Rooms
- Citizen input vital to stopping proposed changes to Lee County lime rock policy at June 19 meeting
- El Dorado Furniture is now hiring for its new location in St. Petersburg!
- Adenosine Monophosphate (AMP) Colorimetric Assay Kit
- Coral Springs Center for the Arts to Present THE BEACH BOYS Friday, February 21, at 7:30 pm
- FREE Practical Self-Defense Seminar
- Utah-based Surplus Lines Company Launches New Tax Filing Technology: InsCipher Connect
- Cheers to a Calm, Clean & Safe Fourth of July Holiday with Pets!
- ShearShare Highlighted in Google's Annual Economic Impact Report
- New Arizona Law Will Increase Minimum Insurance Coverage Requirement
- Diamond State Warriors Win the Coveted All-City Classic 302 Legends Championship
- Central Park Five Members, Rapper T.I., Rev. Raphael Warnock Join Forces To Address Ma
- New Vishay Polymer Tantalum Chip Capacitors Distributed Through New Yorker Electronics
- Angela Raub nominated for Gwinnett Chamber Moxie Awards
- Mastrad Expands Collection To Enhance At-Home Culinary Experience
- PriorAuth Online: An Effective Prior Authorization Way out for DME
- McCarthy Southwest Names Lloyd Flowers Project Director
- United Premier Soccer League Selects Texas as Host State for 2019 National Finals
- Canadians Break Sports Betting Records As Toronto Raptors Win The NBA Championship