Popular on eTradeWire
- Searchaerospace achieves first milestone listing repair capabilities 216
- Anna Faktorovich Announces Candidacy for Mayor of Quanah, Texas 194
- XOV prepares to launch its bank-grade digital payments arm, Slipstream, for cryptocurrency 178
- PacketSled Recognized by SC Media as a Finalist for Best Computer Forensic Solution 164
- Ring Power Corporation Appoints Alban President 148
- Paras Biopharmaceuticals Finland Oy Announces Successful Development of Biologically Active Romiplostim (N-Plate® Biosimilar) Production Technology 102
- The Hype Magazine Signs Exclusive Podcast Agreement With Digital Soapbox Network
- Delta Hotels Saskatoon Downtown Undergoes Transformation and Rebranding
- Foolay DC Releases New Single: Know What It Is
- Future-Proof Your Brewery in 2019
Similar on eTradeWire
- Women in eDiscovery Announces 2019 National Sponsors
- Attorney Israel Klein Wins Another FINRA Arbitration; Award Grants Expungement of Form U5
- KW Law Group Opens For Business
- Mobliciti secures two-year contract delivering managed airtime to leading global Law Firm
- The Law Office of Mark Humphreys announces the settlement of another case in the DFW area
- Kim Arana Elected To Fennemore Craig Management Team
- Bernstein Law Firm Announces Attorney Jay D. Stein as Newest Member of Team
- State Farm Penalized by San Antonio Jury for Bad Faith Conduct
- Call for Nominations for the 2019 Immigrant Journey Awards
- Kelley Kronenberg Welcomes Three New Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale
While an adverse finding by a legislative body could cost Fairfax his current governmental position and ruin his political ambitions, the new investigation could have far more serious consequences, says Banzhaf.
As lieutenant governor, a position which has few duties, Fairfax has also served as a partner at Morrison Foerster [MoFo], an international law firm with 16 offices worldwide and over 1000 lawyers.
But the firm now "has retained outside counsel to conduct an investigation. During the investigation, Justin Fairfax has taken a leave of absence from Morrison & Foerster. Justin has agreed to cooperate with the firm's investigation," Larren M. Nashelsky, chairman of the firm, said in a statement.
More on eTradeWire News
- Super Seer Releases 100% American-Made Riot Helmet for Law Enforcement
- "The Elementals in Space" by Jane Mckeogh is published
- Oasis Senior Advisors continues nationwide expansion
- "You the one" new song by Yvng Swag
- Premiere online HR event focuses on Future of Work
- Load Cell Monitoring of a Tunnel Jacking Operation in Real-Time
- Water Celebration Founder Leslie Gabriel to Speak at the Leadership Awards Gala
As a result, it appears that Fairfax has been cut off from his major source of income, just as his needs to retain outside counsel - to defend him not only in formal proceedings, but also in the court of public opinion - are likely to continue to grow.
He earns only $36,321 annually from his governmental position with Virginia, whereas partners at major law firms typically earn hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars annually.
The results of the already ongoing investigation by outside counsel will be even more crucial.
If he is found to be guilty of either or both allegations, he almost certainly would be required to leave the firm, and it would be very unlikely that any other major firm would have him.
If he is found not to committed any criminal sexual assaults, he might remain on as partner (or be transferred discreetly to another position), but in such a situation the demand for the public release of the report of the investigation might well be overwhelming.
Another possibility is that the investigation by outside counsel will be inconclusive; i.e., that he cannot be found to have committed the assaults, or not to have committed the assaults, beyond a reasonable doubt (the criminal standard) or even by a preponderance of evidence (the civil standard).
More on eTradeWire News
- Greg Drusch Wins 2018 WHBA Builder of the Year Award
- Aries Industries Makes Leap in Pipeline-Cutting Technology With Wolverine 2.0 Cutter
- European Foot & Ankle Clinic Now Has 7 Locations in Chicago for Podiatry Procedures
- Firefighters host all-ages show to raise funds for Mary's Place and Babies of Homelessness
- Five Trends for Solo Women Traveling
- Technicolor Showcases Wide Range of Open Connected Home Innovations and Partnerships at Mobile World Congress 2019 in Barcelona
- Doris Michaels Cosmetics Black Skin Colourmatch Palettes
The effect of such a finding, which is not unlikely given all the circumstances, is even less clear, both to his career as an attorney, and also to his political ambitions.
Still another possible risk is that legal authorities in the jurisdictions in which he is admitted to practice law (Virginia and DC) will be asked to conduct an investigation which might lead to his disbarment.
While it might be unlikely that the Bar authorities would conduct their own fact-finding investigation, and more likely that they would reply upon any investigations conducted by the Virginia legislature and/or by MoFo's outside counsel, the standards they might employ could be different.
JOHN F. BANZHAF III, B.S.E.E., J.D., Sc.D.
Professor of Public Interest Law
George Washington University Law School,
FAMRI Dr. William Cahan Distinguished Professor,
Fellow, World Technology Network,
Founder, Action on Smoking and Health (ASH),
2000 H Street, NW, Wash, DC 20052, USA
(202) 994-7229 // (703) 527-8418
http://banzhaf.net/ jbanzhaf3ATgmail.com @profbanzhaf
- McCarthy Promotes Mike Schulte to Vice President Operations Marine/Industrial, Southern Region
- Kent State Faculty Member Robert Jewell, Ph.D. Publishes Research on Secret Brand Consumption
- Retired NYS Court Officer Exposes Corruption
- Unique 'Silver Meditation' Helps People Connect With God in Simple Way that Works
- The Los Angeles Times' Bad Boy of Blues Launches New Song
- Opioid Crisis Expert Dr. John Rosa Encourages Drug-Free Pain Prescriptions
- Delays in processing PPI Claims by the Banks could lead to customers missing out on refunds
- CENTRIA Formawall® Panels Protect and Enhance Senior Housing Renovations
- ASA Takes Issue with Bank Agency Refusal to Hold Public Hearing on Regulation Affecting Homebuyers
- New Podcast Explores Anti-Anxiety Drugs, Sleeping Pills, and the Struggle of Withdrawal
- Janitorial Services in Metro Detroit Business Districts
- Tow Recover Assist Extends Mobile Battery Replacement & Delivery Service Area
- MedShare Donates Medical Supplies & Equipment to the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Imagination Park Introduces AR Tool for Advertising & Branding
- New Talk Radio Program Provides Self-Improvement Techniques
- Atlanta Nonprofit Mixes Optometry, Art, and Stone at Night of Spectacles
- Cyber Security Hub Digital Summit Unites Global Thought Leaders Online For Two Days Of Free Sessions
- Affordable Dental Implants, Dentures, and More from Easton Dentist
- YouDecide Named as One of the Best Places to Work
- Alternatives to Hyundai Extended Vehicle Warranties Available from autopom!