Popular on eTradeWire
- Color Code Security System, Fintech and Crypto Solutions Launched by Starcave Global 529
- Owner Assisted Yacht Deliveries 435
- The 'Fittest Woman On Earth' Visits Puerto Vallarta 386
- Golf & Luxury When You Visit Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel Romantic Getaway 372
- Emily Bertsch Chosen For Hosted Future Leaders In Travel Retreat Event 365
- Tenon Tours Recognized As A Five-time Honoree Among Inc 2019 5000 Most Successful Companies 249
- New WordPress Plugin Feature: Line Chart Graphing 194
- Learn How to Build a Website From Scratch With Space Doggos 2 186
- American Airlines cancellation policy due to weather 177
- Creighton Construction & Development completes 7-Eleven in Miami, begins 7-Elevens in Florida, Texas 174
Similar on eTradeWire
- Statesman Capitol 10K announces HAAM returning as beneficiary for 2020 race
- New husband and wife start-up launch the first low-carb almond flour pasta
- North Gwinnett HS Freshman Organizes Labor Day 5K Walk/Run Eagle Project
- Mayweather Boxing + Fitness Announces the Opening of Tampa Franchise Location
- Perfect Body Laser and Aesthetics® Now Has Cynosure's Synchro REPLA:Y, The World's Fastest and Most Powerful Alexandrite Laser Technology
- BBQ RESCUES! Foundation Volunteer Hollywood Actress Katrina Kenally is in the Running for Maxim Covergirl
- 2two5™ Appointed Agency of Record for LightRX®
- Report: New cutting edge advanced exercise techniques for anti-aging, weight loss, muscle building
- Must See Tv Show Premiering This Fall
- Is it Possible to Lose Weight With Just 1 Minute Per Day?
Dr. Sanjoy Banerjee, who focuses on Pain Management, shares his thoughts in a new article, which is available on his blog at https://sanjoybanerjeemd.home.blog/
These pain-inducing sensations are often reported to be irritating, whereas the pain itself ranges from mild to intense, depending on how badly the limb was severed. Mostly diagnosed in war veterans, stuntmen, and extreme sports players, phantom pain is also experienced by people who have been paralyzed. The pain either decreases over time or dies down completely; however, in some cases, it may also require medical attention.
More on eTradeWire News
- Fairfield Gourmet Food Corporation - The Parent Company of David's Cookies Announces the Acquisition of Foxtail Foods
- Doosan Machine Tools Selects MachBase Time-Series Database for Enhanced Edge Computing Capabilities
- Michael Szymanski Earns NAR Short Sales and Foreclosure Resource® Certification
- Otter Learning Expands Childcare Presence in Orlando
- International Grief Institute Advisory Board Member Announced
People suffering from phantom limb pain often display signs and symptoms that are a clear give away of the medical condition, such as a sharp, throbbing, stabbing, or burning pain in the limb area. Patients may also complain about the uncomfortable positioning of the phantom limb or a tingling or itching sensation arousing.
Other than these symptoms, patients can also experience certain sensations. For instance, phantom limb pain patients frequently complain about sensations associated with the limb's posture, length, and weight. For example, people report sensations of the phantom limb feeling heavier. At times, people also complain about how the limb has shrunk. This feeling is called telescoping.
Other sensory features include movements where the patient feels his limb is moving or that he can control its movement, when in reality, the limb is absent. Similarly, they may report senses of touch, temperature, pressure, and itchiness because they feel the limbs are warm or cold or burning.
This post-amputation medical condition is preventable. Since the developmental risk of phantom limb pain is higher in patients who have suffered pain in that limb prior to surgery, surgeons and physicians encourage the use of anesthesia ahead of amputation surgery. The anesthesia can either be spinal or epidural and can be administered a few hours or even days before the surgery takes place. This prevention method has reportedly seen a significant decline in prevailing phantom limb pain together with the immediate pain reduction after surgery.
More on eTradeWire News
- The Survival Sign Publishes New Facebook Business Page
- Ben Byron Davis of Red Dead Redemption II joins The Grindhouse Radio
- Jared Goff to Donate $1,000 per Touchdown to Support California Strong
- Steeves and Associates Invited to Attend Microsoft Identity-Driven Security Airlift Event
- Children's Services Foundation of SWFL makes first grants to help fill service gaps
Although not every amputee develops a phantom limb ache, most people do because they are at a higher developmental risk of phantom pain. Certain factors increase the risk of phantom pain of the limbs, such as factors like pre-existing pain in the limbs that are later amputated.
Researchers suggest that patients with pre-existing limb pain are more likely to suffer from phantom limb pain after the surgical procedure. This is because of how their brains develop sensory memories of pain and continue to send this signal even once the limb is removed.
Residual limb pain is another risk factor of phantom pain. Individuals with constant pain in the residual part of the limbs generally do experience phantom pain. This is due to the abnormal growth of damaged nerve endings, called neuroma, which consequently lead to painful nerve activity.
If you have recurrent sensations of movement, pain, or touch in your phantom limbs, it is highly advised to seek medical assistance.
Dr. Sanjoy Banerjee is the Founder and Medical Director of Pacific Pain Care in Corona and Wildomar, California.
Pacific Pain Care
Dr. Sanjoy Banerjee
- We The Creative develops three 2018 Year In Review reports for City of Long Beach
- Mobile Cannabis Lounge Tours Land in Los Angeles
- Aron Blue Tells the Truth About Mermaids
- Cat Tree Plus: Charming Cat Trees and Other Supplies
- Celebrate New Year's Eve in Havana, Cuba and improve the lives of the Cuban people
- Odd-On Industries Brings Much Needed Fun to the Smart Speaker Market
- Greasezilla Selected to be the FOG Separation Technology for Danbury Wastewater Treatment Center
- REV•1 Engineering® Takes Early Phase Medical Device Development To The Next Level
- Eliminate The Unnecessary So That The Necessary May Scat
- WWI Paris Comes To Life In The Little Palace
- Billerica-based Tint King Provides Info Regarding Hiring Commercial Window Tinting Companies
- One of the pioneers of the MedTech field, Peter McCredie, joins the MedTech Visionaries Awards
- Detroit Non-Profits Partner with Local Agency to Support Small Business Growth
- About iRemodel Home Renovations
- Berea BioVentures Announces Collaboration with CMPlus, Inc. To Match Life Science Companies
- Madisonville, KY Pennyrile Technologies Provides an All-in-One Managed IT Solutions
- Texas A&M University and VetNOW Create First Veterinary Telemedicine Program
- Sacred Heart School to hold annual Golf Tournament
- iRemodel Home Renovations and Improvement
- Anytime Fitness College Parkway Raises $6K with 9/11 Push-Up Challenge Benefit