Popular on eTradeWire
- Academia.edu Picks Marshall Barnes Paper, 'Killing Closed Time-Like Curves', for Special Promotion 126
- South Coast Improvement, Co. wins renovation project at Sunrise Senior Living
- Jet Direct Mortgage Opens New Branch Office In Wilmington, North Carolina
- Lapels Dry Cleaning annual clothing drive to benefit Big Brother Big Sister Foundation
- PhyberTech: A multi-faceted tech firm founded by tech prodigy Pratik KC
- MommaWork Offers Free Breastfeeding Support to LGBTQ Families
- Executive Order Might Get Citizenship Question Back On Census
- Mirage' Coming To Amazon Prime July 16 | Pre-Order Now
- TVS Television Network to Launch TVS Womens Sports Network in July on Giniko USA.Com Platform
- Cen Biotech Announces The Signing Of A Merger Agreement With Csoc
Similar on eTradeWire
- Hanley Investment Group Arranges $4.1M Sale of Four-Tenant Shop Building Shadow-Anchored by Sprouts
- Brand new home for sale with an open house this weekend!
- Nick Cabrera Joins RE/MAX Platinum Realty
- Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Florida Properties Group Welcomes Veronica Davidson
- Lehnert Named President of Southwest Florida Real Estate Council
- Jacksonville - St. Augustine, FL Real Estate Agent Promotes Homes To More Buyers For More Money
- Brampton Real Estate Brokerage turns 3 - holds annual BBQ Party for Community
- REAL Trends + Tom Ferry Announce 2019 America's Best Real Estate Agents List Seventh Annual Real Estate Ranking
- Coming Soon to Sparks is Merano at D'Andrea, a New Home Community by Lennar
- Tim Crandall Joins BHHS Commercial Division
By: Amy Howell Hirt
Published: December 10, 2018
Find out how much it costs to remodel a kitchen, item by item, so you never spend more than you need to.
How much is that kitchen remodel going to cost you? That's a hard number to nail down. It's not like you can cost compare on Amazon.
Instead, you need to research, create a budget, and track your expenses. Having your own kitchen remodel worksheet can help. Download it here. (You'll be prompted to make a copy of the interactive worksheet -- just for you).
Or, scroll on to see what kind of costs to expect and how to save on a kitchen remodel to get the most return on your investment.
Costs of a Typical Kitchen Remodel
Below are itemized costs of kitchen materials and labor so you can see where the possibilities for savings exist.
Price ranges on materials include builder-grade, mid-grade, and better quality, but not the most expensive you can buy. These numbers are meant to convey typical costs.
Item Estimated Materials Cost* Estimated Labor*
Kitchen Cabinets $6,000 - $15,000 $600 - $1,140
Dishwasher $600 - $1,300 $115 - $270
Range / Stovetop $350 - $3,000 $115 - $270
Wall Oven $1,000 - $3,500 $115 - $270
Refrigerator $350 - $4,000 $115 - $270
Range Hood $175 - $600 $115 - $270
Microwave $300 - $700 $115 - $270
Countertops $700 - $3,750 $100 - $1,000
Flooring $350 - $1,000 $150 - $3,250
Garbage Disposal $150 - $250 $200 - $250
Paint $150 - $2,000 $300 - $950
Sink and Faucet $200 - $800 $250 - $650
Total $10,325 - $35,900 $2,240 - $9,140
* Based on a 12-by-15-foot kitchen. Your costs will vary based on your kitchen's size and the you choose.
More on eTradeWire News
- Walk Around Turtle Island July issue now online!
- Cummings Graduate Institute for Behavioral Health Studies Granted Accreditation
- Brand new home for sale with an open house this weekend!
- Carolina Treetop Challenge Opens, Announcing Ken White as Manager
- Best Solution To Handling Apex Predators In Destin, Florida
How to Save on the Cost of Kitchen Cabinets
Go with stock cabinets. Avoid custom, which can quadruple your costs. A typical stock cabinet costs as little as $200, whereas custom gets much closer to a grand per cabinet (even more if you go super high-end).
Just replace parts. You can absolutely transform the look of your cabinetry without buying new. Buy new doors, upgrade your hardware, and/or take off some doors completely for open shelving.
Hire a handyperson. If the installation is simple — without tricky corners or bowed walls, for example — hire a handyperson instead of a carpenter and pay less for labor. Installing cabinets typically costs $35 to $65 an hour. The more skilled, the higher the rate.
DIY your demo. This is also a labor cost you can trim — and you get to wield a sledgehammer. Win-win!
Refinish cabinets. If your cabinetry's bones are in good condition, you can simply add trim, paint, or stain for a look that feels as fresh as the day they were installed.
Scout Ikea's clearance room. Sektion is Ikea's standard cabinet box. They're popular and flexible, and they make frequent appearances in the clearance room. If you've got time, you can fill a whole kitchen with deeply discounted floor models, piece-by-piece.
How to Save on Painting
Wait to paint. Painters drop their rates when business slows in the winter, and some offer discounts if your job is a fill-in between other projects.
DIY the prep. Many painters charge hourly, so do some of the prep work yourself, like removing outlet covers and light fixtures.
Or DIY it all. The only skill necessary is patience, and the biggest resource needed is time. If you've got those, you can finish off even the most professional of remodels with your own paintbrush without sacrificing quality.
How to Save on Appliances
Pick up last year's models. Stores hold sales on brand-new dishwashers, ovens, and microwaves in September, October, and January, while prices for fridges bottom out in May.
More on eTradeWire News
- EYLA supports Kultivate Labs, joins UNDISCOVERED SF today
- Taste of Manila to light up the summer festival season in Canada with Philippine flavors
- Shuvu Banim Announces Israeli Rabbi Eliyahu Merav Video Statement of Support for Rabbi Berland
- Freedom Motors partners with Alife Air to manufacture Rotapower engines for 2 wheelers
- Local Actor Lance E. Nichols Stars in Newly Released Arceneaux Series
Keep appliances in place. Water, gas, and electric lines are way expensive to move or add. In fact, our cost estimates don't include this expense because costs vary widely depending on the complexity. But one thing is for certain: If you do plan to move them, your costs will jump considerably.
Skip stainless. Stainless steel almost always costs $100 or more per appliance. If white appliances appeal to you, your costs can be much less. And white never goes out of style.
Related: Kitchen Appliance Lifespans
How to Save on Countertops
Skip the big box stores. Go with a local fabricator. They have a greater variety of options and often cost less, as big retailers outsource both the labor and fabrication.
Get prefabricated laminate. On-site cutting could jack up your labor costs.
Choose discontinued, remnant, or odd lot materials. They come with deep, deep discounts.
How to Save on Your Sink
Choose a self-rimming sink. Sink costs vary, but the installation for a self-rimming (or drop-in) sink is generally easier, and therefore cheaper, than other sink styles, like an undermount or farmhouse sink.
Focus on the faucet. If your sink is in good shape, just replace the faucet, and you'll still dramatically change the look. And — bonus — faucets are an easy DIY install.
How to Save on Flooring
Go with quality sheet vinyl. It's the least expensive for both materials and labor. Plus it's durable and easy to keep clean. Tile and hardwood cost about the same each for materials, but tile costs more to install because of the grouting. If you need a new sub-floor or the existing floor is challenging to remove, your costs could jump even more.
Other Ways to Save on Your Kitchen Remodel
DIY the buy. If you're using a general contractor, buy your own materials. Contractors mark up the prices to cover their time and risk in purchasing for you.
Keller Williams San Diego Metro
Ryan Boyer Realtor Keller Williams
- American Deposit Management Sued for Patent Infringement for $30 Million
- Alleged Mafioso hitman and Brighton Author anticipates prison release
- IBT of Miami plants trees to regenerate forest in Dominican Republic
- Multi Award-Winning Recording Artist and Living Legend Releases First Book
- Seven Time Grammy Winner Al Jarreau Receives Tribute Album
- Brand new Electrical Testing & Certification App "Pro Certs" hits the app stores
- Jason Lopez of DDO joins Jackson Agency
- Dragonflies Healing Salon and Spa To Celebrate Grand Opening
- BEST Foundation Launches Spotlight Project Supporting Youth Music Programs
- Senior housing database expands across Canada
- 2019 Women of Color STEM Category Winners announced
- AtlasFAI Welcomes Additional Offices in Arizona!
- ACE1 Colorimetric Activity Assay Kit
- Tiger Fuel supports Chesapeake Bay conservation efforts at ten car wash locations
- It's a Publicity Palooza! AuthorYOU Mini-Extravaganza!
- Estate & Asset Protection Law Firm Founder Victoria L Collier On Protecting Digital Assets
- Follow Alice, A Girl Determined To Protect Her Body, Her Future, and Her Heart in "Wasted Pretty"
- A Hurricane Unleashes A Monstrosity From The Past In "The Breach" by Author Edward J. McFadden III
- Sales, Discounts, and Rewards with Passfeed
- ExcelRT Builder 2.0 Allows Spreadsheet Author to Become App Developer