Popular on eTradeWire
- Jason Mitchell Is Named #1 Producing Real Estate Agent In Arizona In 2018 185
- Dr. Paul Norwood peer reviews new scientific article related to the treatment of Type 2 Diabetes 142
- Mercury Retrograde Celebrated by Tristate Astrologers on International Astrology Day 2019 129
- Black Diamond PR Firm announces new client, Atlanta Falcons Wide-Receiver, Mohamed Sanu 129
- William J. Bruce III to Return as Host to Aussie Osbourne Show 120
- Music Industry Month End Report for February 2019
- Jill Liberman & Sean Kanan To Guest On The Jimmy Star Show With Ron Russell Wednesday Marcy 27, 2019
- Ahoy Mateys! Pirates with plates are on the horizon
- Subaru of Midland Odessa Partners With MASA, Will Donate 2019 Subaru Outback
Similar on eTradeWire
- Demand For Mountain Cabins Spurs New Opportunity For Investors
- New Luxury Loft Living in Tulsa Meadow Gold District
- Florida Residential Real Estate Investor Hires Spring Intern
- First Coast Apartment Association Announces Board of Directors
- Join Lennar for the Grand Opening of Stonehaven in Vancouver on April 6!
- RE/MAX Coppell and Las Colinas offices Make a Difference as 'Miracle Office' for Children's Health
- Steve Linder of Pacific Lots explains the benefits of investing in Costa Rica
- New Homes with RV Garages Now Pre-selling at Freedom at Asante!
- Homestake Capital receives 5 FAME Awards
- Keller Williams Realty Select Announces KWRS International Real Estate Group
By: Amy Howell Hirt
Published: December 10, 2018
Find out how much it costs to remodel a kitchen, item by item, so you never spend more than you need to.
How much is that kitchen remodel going to cost you? That's a hard number to nail down. It's not like you can cost compare on Amazon.
Instead, you need to research, create a budget, and track your expenses. Having your own kitchen remodel worksheet can help. Download it here. (You'll be prompted to make a copy of the interactive worksheet -- just for you).
Or, scroll on to see what kind of costs to expect and how to save on a kitchen remodel to get the most return on your investment.
Costs of a Typical Kitchen Remodel
Below are itemized costs of kitchen materials and labor so you can see where the possibilities for savings exist.
Price ranges on materials include builder-grade, mid-grade, and better quality, but not the most expensive you can buy. These numbers are meant to convey typical costs.
Item Estimated Materials Cost* Estimated Labor*
Kitchen Cabinets $6,000 - $15,000 $600 - $1,140
Dishwasher $600 - $1,300 $115 - $270
Range / Stovetop $350 - $3,000 $115 - $270
Wall Oven $1,000 - $3,500 $115 - $270
Refrigerator $350 - $4,000 $115 - $270
Range Hood $175 - $600 $115 - $270
Microwave $300 - $700 $115 - $270
Countertops $700 - $3,750 $100 - $1,000
Flooring $350 - $1,000 $150 - $3,250
Garbage Disposal $150 - $250 $200 - $250
Paint $150 - $2,000 $300 - $950
Sink and Faucet $200 - $800 $250 - $650
Total $10,325 - $35,900 $2,240 - $9,140
* Based on a 12-by-15-foot kitchen. Your costs will vary based on your kitchen's size and the you choose.
More on eTradeWire News
- Malaysia's Healthcare sector responding affirmatively to the 4.0 era with values-based approach
- UK's only single patient handling equipment maintenance and management provider announces dig
- Generation Glamp: The Rising Trend of Glamping in Australia
- Restore Datashred is now a compliant Service Level Provider PCI-DSS
- Wisconsin Annual Blues Harmonica Festival 2019!
How to Save on the Cost of Kitchen Cabinets
Go with stock cabinets. Avoid custom, which can quadruple your costs. A typical stock cabinet costs as little as $200, whereas custom gets much closer to a grand per cabinet (even more if you go super high-end).
Just replace parts. You can absolutely transform the look of your cabinetry without buying new. Buy new doors, upgrade your hardware, and/or take off some doors completely for open shelving.
Hire a handyperson. If the installation is simple — without tricky corners or bowed walls, for example — hire a handyperson instead of a carpenter and pay less for labor. Installing cabinets typically costs $35 to $65 an hour. The more skilled, the higher the rate.
DIY your demo. This is also a labor cost you can trim — and you get to wield a sledgehammer. Win-win!
Refinish cabinets. If your cabinetry's bones are in good condition, you can simply add trim, paint, or stain for a look that feels as fresh as the day they were installed.
Scout Ikea's clearance room. Sektion is Ikea's standard cabinet box. They're popular and flexible, and they make frequent appearances in the clearance room. If you've got time, you can fill a whole kitchen with deeply discounted floor models, piece-by-piece.
How to Save on Painting
Wait to paint. Painters drop their rates when business slows in the winter, and some offer discounts if your job is a fill-in between other projects.
DIY the prep. Many painters charge hourly, so do some of the prep work yourself, like removing outlet covers and light fixtures.
Or DIY it all. The only skill necessary is patience, and the biggest resource needed is time. If you've got those, you can finish off even the most professional of remodels with your own paintbrush without sacrificing quality.
How to Save on Appliances
Pick up last year's models. Stores hold sales on brand-new dishwashers, ovens, and microwaves in September, October, and January, while prices for fridges bottom out in May.
More on eTradeWire News
- Women's movement founded 11 decades ago gains strength while positioning itself in the social media era
- Ambulatory Accreditation Consultants Certified by LSBE
- little countdown app integrates with iOS Calendar
- The Tech Podcast You Should be Watching
- GAMESPARK™ Announces Subscription Service
Keep appliances in place. Water, gas, and electric lines are way expensive to move or add. In fact, our cost estimates don't include this expense because costs vary widely depending on the complexity. But one thing is for certain: If you do plan to move them, your costs will jump considerably.
Skip stainless. Stainless steel almost always costs $100 or more per appliance. If white appliances appeal to you, your costs can be much less. And white never goes out of style.
Related: Kitchen Appliance Lifespans
How to Save on Countertops
Skip the big box stores. Go with a local fabricator. They have a greater variety of options and often cost less, as big retailers outsource both the labor and fabrication.
Get prefabricated laminate. On-site cutting could jack up your labor costs.
Choose discontinued, remnant, or odd lot materials. They come with deep, deep discounts.
How to Save on Your Sink
Choose a self-rimming sink. Sink costs vary, but the installation for a self-rimming (or drop-in) sink is generally easier, and therefore cheaper, than other sink styles, like an undermount or farmhouse sink.
Focus on the faucet. If your sink is in good shape, just replace the faucet, and you'll still dramatically change the look. And — bonus — faucets are an easy DIY install.
How to Save on Flooring
Go with quality sheet vinyl. It's the least expensive for both materials and labor. Plus it's durable and easy to keep clean. Tile and hardwood cost about the same each for materials, but tile costs more to install because of the grouting. If you need a new sub-floor or the existing floor is challenging to remove, your costs could jump even more.
Other Ways to Save on Your Kitchen Remodel
DIY the buy. If you're using a general contractor, buy your own materials. Contractors mark up the prices to cover their time and risk in purchasing for you.
Keller Williams San Diego Metro
Ryan Boyer Realtor Keller Williams
- Empowered Speaker Event – Public Speaker Training in Hutchinson Island, Florida
- Conservancy of Southwest Florida collects 12 ADDY awards for outstanding print, digital campaigns
- Campus Safety HQ Online Training and Resource Center for Campus Safety Professionals is now FREE
- Kiss Goodbye To Ms Raises Awareness And Vital Resources To Help Find A Cure For Multiple Sclerosis
- Figural oil painting by James McNeill Whistler will be in Woodshed Art Auctions' April 4th auction
- Non Emergency Medical Transportation Accreditation Commission is Excited to Announce its First Annual Conference
- Robert "Kool" Bell Will Discuss Renewable Energy At Delaware State U
- Daughter of WWII survivors tells family story of triumph over tragedy at Regal Palms Senior Living Residence in Largo, FL
- PMTI announces virtual PMP® Training Course - April 1 to 4
- MMI Charlotte Joins Forces with Roc solid Foundation to "Play It Forward"
- Find Out If It's Possible To Bring Order From Chaos and Personal Tragedy In "Beleaguered Truth"
- Productiv, Inc. Rolls Out Template for Supply Chain Success
- David McCaskill Joins Halff as Director of Landscape Architecture
- Brooke Woods New Single To Country Radio
- Go Behind The Scenes In The New Audiobook "Yes, Ma'am!: Running the Thin Blue Line - A Cop's Memoir"
- Radio Host Neil Henry's Safe Money Book
- Victoria Miningham Brings Classical Music to Millennials with Victoria Opera House
- A Brand New Release: "Mystical Fairies" Written And Illustrated By Judy Mastrangelo
- Childhood Baseball Dreams Are Chased In New Audiobook "The Sons of Chester" Now Available Worldwide
- MedShadow Foundation Announces New Website Launch