Popular on eTradeWire
- Mona Clayton, RN Launches Mix & Mentor emPOWER Hour Global Tour at Hotel 50 Bowery 116
- Even Neutral Switzerland Can't Stomach Philip Morris
- Variety – The Children's Charity of Wisconsin CEO on Modern Living with kathy ireland®
- Justices Free Up Funding For Trump's Wall
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Abilene Celebrates Topping Off
- Goldberg Brothers ships new folding barn door hardware
- Shuvu Banim Announces Israeli Rabbi Eliyahu Merav Video Statement of Support for Rabbi Berland
- Radio Vet Connie Birth returns to The Spin Awards as the Red Carpet host
- Macy's Caves Over "Fat Shaming," But Maybe It Works
- Lyn Ross of Institut' Dermed Prize Winner in the 2019 Skin Games Compassionate Category
Similar on eTradeWire
- Metro Building and Remodeling Group LLC Named by REMODELING Magazine to its 2019 Big50 Class of America's Top Remodelers
- Durante Rentals Makes the Inc. 5000 List for Seventh Straight Year
- Thiel College's safety program one of two Pennsylvania institutions recognized by top credentialing organizations
- HechtSolberg's Darryl Solberg Named San Diego's 2019 Real Estate "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers®
- Zhuding International Limited New Product Release
- Torque Lock Structural Staples Put An End To Epoxy Failure
- California Lumber Company Crosses Country For Goat Hike
- All About Our Commercial Exterior Design
- Matthew Belcastro Certified as Florida Construction Law Expert
- Harth Builders Announces New Line of Custom Homes
CAS DataLoggers provided the comprehensive data logging solution for a company owning several bitumen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asphalt) spray trucks used to seal roads and highways. Management wanted to demonstrate the quality and efficiency of their process to customers by recording the specific information regarding their particular equipment during multiple bitumen spray runs. This road condition monitoring data would have to be collected from sensors recording several different parameters including the temperature of the bitumen, the surrounding air, engine RPM, road speed, and more.
After contacting CAS DataLoggers, the company installed a dataTaker DT80 Intelligent Data Logger (https://www.dataloggerinc.com/product/dt80-univ...) inside a protective enclosure placed within a truck cabin. All power and signal wires are routed into this enclosure through protective conduits. The DT80 is a small low-power data logger with 5-15 universal analog sensor inputs, 12 digital channels, and 4 high-speed dedicated counter channels. The device's intelligent operation offers automated event triggered logging along with a wide variety of programmable features. For the duration of the road condition monitoring project, the dataTaker DT80 logs without direct operation by the driver – instead the data logging process is initiated by the same switch that the driver uses to begin spraying, and is stopped by the same switch used to stop spraying.
Versatile Sensor Connectivity
6 different sensor types are installed around the truck and are connected to the data logger as follows:
1 • Air Temperature Sensor – a Type K Thermocouple installed immediately below the truck's exterior front cowling measures the air temperature at the start of each bitumen spraying run. This sensor is connected to the DT80's Analog Channel 1.
More on eTradeWire News
- How to Play Sudoku - How to Solve a Sudoku for Beginners
- Chicago rapper shares five tips for upstart musicians
- My Family's Favorite Crock Pot Dinners
- Fishman & Associates Supports Design of the New Café Venice
- Military Writers Society of America (MWSA) Announces its 2019 Season Awards Finalists
2 • Bitumen Temperature Sensor – another Type K Thermocouple is installed in the bitumen tank, measuring the bitumen's temperature at the start of each spraying run. This sensor is connected to the DT80's analog channel 2.
3 • Spray Bar Pressure Sensor – This sensor is mounted in the spray bar at the rear of the truck and measures spray bar pressure every second during runs. The pressure sensor has a 4-20mA current loop output signal, representing 0 – 10 Bar or 0 – 1000 kPa of pressure. The sensor loop power is provided from the 24VDC truck battery and taken from the power supply input of the logger. The sensor is connected to the DT80's analog channel 3.
4 • Bitumen Pump RPM – a digital pickup sensor mounted over a 60-tooth gear wheel located on the pump drive shaft. The sensor returns 60 pulses per revolution, and the pump RPM is measured every second during spray runs. RPM at the end each second is 1/60 * 60 = 1 RPM. This sensor is connected to the DT80's High Speed Counter channel 1.
5 • Engine RPM Sensor – a digital pickup sensor mounted over the 145-tooth ring gear in the bell housing at the rear of the engine. The engine RPM is also measured every second, and the sensor returns 145 pulses per revolution, so the RPM at the end of each second is 1/145 * 60 = 0.414 RPM. The sensor is connected to the DT80's High Speed Counter channel 2.
6 • Road Speed Sensor – a digital pickup sensor mounted over a gear wheel on the output shaft from the truck transmission gearbox. The sensor returns 23856 pulses for 100 meters of travel, i.e. each pulse represents 0.0042 meters of travel. This sensor is connected to the DT80's High Speed Counter channel 3.
Controlling Data Logging
The logging of data from the sensors is controlled by the SPRAY ON and SPRAY OFF push buttons on the driver's panel beside the steering wheel. This provides a safe voltage-free contact closure input to the data logger, which is normally closed. Pressing the SPRAY ON button activates the data logging relay and opens the contacts, and the SPRAY OFF button deactivates the data logging relay and closes the contacts. The voltage-free contact closure is input to the DT80's digital channel 1.
More on eTradeWire News
- John Travolta To Make Wizard World Debut In Chicago, Saturday, August 24
- Best Empowering Book By A Latino 2019
- A High-Flying Online Web-Store Selling Silver Jewellery Announces Its Latest Collection Of Silver Rings
- Greater Twin Cities Honda Dealers Giving Away a 2019 Honda Passport at Minnesota State Fair
- Lola's Lashes bring game-changing magnetic lashes and eyeliner to the UK
Using counters, the DT80 logs both elapsed spray run time and the Run Number of sprays on each run. Each time the user presses the SPRAY ON button, the counter increments by 1. The Run Number is used in combination with the date to identify each run on each day of operation. Additionally, the Run Number counter is reset to 0 at midnight so that the first run each day is Run Number 1. Likewise, the Elapsed Spray Time counter is set to 0 when the user presses the SPRAY ON button, and is incremented each second during a spray run. The Elapsed Spray Time is logged each second along with the sensor data for that second. At the end of the shift, all data stored on the dataTaker is downloaded via USB stick to an office PC for analysis and archiving.
The dataTaker DT80 recorded and stored all the necessary readings for the road condition monitoring project including temperature, 4-20 mA current, engine RPM and road speed—all without needing additional memory cards. This proved to be both cost-effective and convenient for the company. Afterward, it was easy for users to download all the data as a CSV file using the included dEX graphical interface software, allowing detailed analysis and presentation in Microsoft Excel. This project is currently ongoing and the company is looking at possibly replicating this system throughout its fleet.
For more information on the dataTaker DT80 Intelligent Data Logger (https://www.dataloggerinc.com/product/dt80-universal-input-data-logger/), road condition monitoring or to find the ideal solution for your application-specific needs, contact a CAS DataLogger Application Specialist at (800) 956-4437 or request more information (https://www.dataloggerinc.com/need-more-information/).
- EMI Filters for PWM-Driven Motors Prevent Bearing Damage and Reduce EMI in Equipment
- Can we wrap, letter and decal your entire fleet of trucks, no matter how big or small? YES, WE CAN!
- New Graphic Design Service Offers Unbeatable Prices
- Stride Movers Announces Free Moving Supplies Promotion
- Learn about the Opportunity Zone in Flagler County Aug. 20
- Concierge Auctions' Summer Mountain Auction Kicks off with Six Global Sales and Record Price in Wyoming
- Dustin Burrows resigns as caucus chair amid allegations, will Burrows make a statement?
- The Partnership to Provide Detroit Jazz Fest Shuttles Continues
- Interview with Dr. Tony Nettleman of Nettleman Institute of Land Surveying Engineering Technology
- Amateur Treasure Hunter From New Mexico Wins The Tesla Dream Giveaway!
- Experienced Financial Advisor Chooses Cutter & Company in Launching Her Own Independent Firm
- IoT Data Logging with Expert Devices
- Work 365 Sync for Self-Service and Provisioning Automation
- Celebrity Charity Football Tournament at Seaford FC in Sussex for 4 Charities
- Bravo's Married To Medicine Reality Star Draws Breast Cancer Survivors to Atlanta's City Hall
- Gaslowitz Frankel Attorneys Recognized in 2020 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- Jazz Across the Water, Bordum and Rhodes
- Kelley Kronenberg's Alison Verges Walters Named a Top Women Leader in Accounts Receivable
- Disruptive Startup Award @ Stanford
- The Beautiful Day Un Dia Bonito Magazine inspired by the Show hitting the Tri-State region