Popular on eTradeWire
- Roasters Coffee - Community Giving Day December 31st, 2018 187
- NCRF Proudly Announces the 20th Annual Black College Expo Giving Millions in Scholarships On Site 179
- Apex Officer Showcasing Latest Virtual Reality Police Training Innovation at CES 2019 163
- Homestake Capital teams up with CCB Foundation to make bike racing an educational experience 153
- Author & Motivational Specialist Stephanie C. White was a Keynote Speaker at the Wow Wedding Expo 153
- Kemet Educational Services launches Holiday STEM Online Course 124
- Steve Dalton Wes Wilt Being Investigated 124
- The Fastest Way To Build The Boarder Wall In 2019: Jose Franco For US President 2020 105
- Actor and MTv show host Nick Cannon pays it forward 105
- Easy to Build Network by BUSYZ
Similar on eTradeWire
- IBT of Miami explores infrastructure construction in Costa Rica
- Carolina Closets Plus Earns 2018 Angie's List Super Service Award
- Total Amount of Recycled Rubber Used in Installations of Porous Pave Topped 13 Million Pounds in 2018
- Ceramic Tile Education Foundation Publishes 2019 CTEF Certification and Training Schedule
- Shore Builders Association of Central New Jersey Kicks Off New Year
- accu-rate™ Estimating Services Co. software now offering 1006 100-Stories Estimating System
- DTC Offers New Programs & Partnerships To Train Detroit Residents For In Demand Careers
- The MJA Company Launches New Website
- MC Plan & Site Services Appoint New Assistant Building Surveyor
- Modular Concepts, Inc. Provides Modular Dormitories During Recovery Effort at Tyndall Air Force Base
Numbers of Women in Construction Falling 1 Company of self-employed Women Plumbers Stopping the Flow
In 2014 the percentage of tradeswomen in UK hit the giddy heights of 1.2% of all tradespeople; an all time high (figure from Labour Force Survey information from the ONS).
So what has caused the drop since 2014?
There is a massive 'skills gap' for all trades but the numbers of Apprenticeships don't seem to be meeting requirements from trainees enabling them to develop their skills and qualify nor the demand for reliable, skilled trades people from householders. This disproportionally affects women because the majority enter trades at age 27 and over; they don't fit the traditional Apprentice Profile and with homes and (often) families to support, they couldn't survive on Apprentice wages for two years even if they were offered Apprenticeships.
Women in skilled trades are in a Catch 22 situation because they aren't seen as a priority in the industry because of their low numbers but because there is no system to enable women to gain a foothold in the industry their numbers remain low.
Industry competitions and social media give a false impression of higher numbers and levels of support/encouragement than there actually are
"Many trades competitions for example now ensure women are seen to be competing, but the women rarely win because being able to compete should be prize enough for them".
In 2010 Stopcocks Women Plumbers stepped into this breach with their into business and mentoring scheme that came of age in Spring 2017 as a national franchise for female plumbers wanting to run their own businesses. Stopcocks report clear demand from householders around UK for skilled, reliable tradeswomen and would love to meet that demand by expanding into all trades.
More on eTradeWire News
- Rotary Club of Flagler Beach to Host Race of the Runway for Rotary Fundraiser Feb. 2nd
- UK Singer/Songwriter Rob Palladino Releases Highly Anticipated Debut Album "Spirit Trail"
- Too much Clutter? Winter Storage Tips from PODS® Tucson Moving and Storage Leader
- Maria Raquel Thomas Named Featured Slimer at Largest DC Slime Expo
- Federal Government Employees Without Pay Get Free Jumps At Sky Zone Joliet
- Jim Stepanich of RTP Sports Medicine & Physical Therapy announces their Fourth Anniversary
- Doral Chamber of Commerce Welcomes Thryv as a Trustee Member
"We know we have a great system to help tradeswomen set up their own Stopcocks businesses, our gas engineer in St Albans/Herts joined in August and is already almost at capacity, another plumber is able to take her children abroad for the whole school holiday every summer, while another works flexibly so she can do the school run every day. We understand what support tradeswomen need to prosper quickly and we're flexible enough to provide it.
By establishing thriving Stopcocks businesses around the country we will be creating fertile ground for new tradeswomen and making it easier for them to enter the industry"
Since creating an online presence in 2006 Stopcocks Women Plumbers receive on average 1 call or email every week from women wanting help to become plumbers. The franchise was set up to meet this need combined with the requests from customers around the country for easy to find, skilled tradeswomen. Stopcocks, established in 1990 remain the 'go to' company for information about women in skilled trades and plumbing in particular because of their wealth of experience and expertise.
Stopcocks Women Plumbers are the only national franchise of skilled tradeswomen anywhere in the world (as far as we know, and since no one is disagreeing we assume this is correct).
Stopcocks see their mission as providing householders with the choice of a female plumber, or tradeswoman and also helping women into self-employment.
Stopcocks receive no support from CIPHE, BPEC, CITB or any other organisation but continue as the primary company advising, supporting and promoting self-employed women in plumbing nationally.
"We're a business like any other. We're the experts in the industry on the situation within it for women so we're frequently asked by print media, radio and TV for the low-down. Because there is so little support from the industry or anywhere else and we speak out on this we're seen as a campaigning organisation. Actually, we're just interested in running a successful business through helping other [great trades] women run successful businesses"
More on eTradeWire News
- Monsieur Job Mixes Electronic-Infused Latin Rhythms with "Melancholic Happy" ft. Clindistino
- Federal government shutdown postpones World Children's Festival on The National Mall
- Siebert Cisneros Shank Leaps to Second Nationally in Co-Managed Muni Bond Issues
- Life Changing Autism Treatment by Genesis Medical Center is Giving Hope to Parents
- Fiber Artists Thread Work With Technology, Politics, and Pop Culture
- Pervis Taylor III, M.A. Gets Us In Surthrival Mode
- Hanley Investment Group Arranges Sale of New Raising Cane's in Minneapolis Metro Area
"It's been my dream to help women into self employment through plumbing and all the years of hard work and many failings has made that dream a reality, I couldn't be more thrilled at our current growth" says Hattie Hasan founder of Stopcocks Women Plumbers and author of 'The Joy of Plumbing – a guide to living the life you really REALLY want! (available on Amazon)
Territories already represented include London, Weymouth, Rochdale/Oldham, West Yorkshire, Hertfordshire and very soon Devon.
This franchise opportunity is open to women in jobs as plumbers who want to become self-employed and represents the only one of its kind in the UK perhaps even the world. It aims to provide the very best support for those women in jobs who want to work for themselves. Stopcocks even mentor less experienced women plumbers to become highly competent and confident. Stopcocks plumbers are self-employed but not alone.
As well as training in running a successful plumbing business many of the headaches of self employment like marketing, advertising, phone answering, invoicing and chasing payments are brought in-house so that franchisees can get on with what they love… plumbing.
Stopcocks is accepting franchise applications from women plumbers; any who wish to express an interest should contact Mica through the website http://stopcocks.uk.
We believe Stopcocks Women Plumbers are the only national company of skilled tradeswomen in the world.
Actual figures are not collected in the industry, estimates are that women represent around 1% of all plumbers in UK and that there are 500 Female Gas Engineers. Two thirds of customers state they are 'happy' or 'more than happy' to use a tradeswomen, this is a great business opportunity.
- Montclair Art Museum Offers Free Admission To Federal Employees During Government Shutdown
- Tax Expert & Advisor Barry Fowler, EA Talks About How Partial Government Shutdown Affects Taxpayers
- Former opponents inside the UFC cage unite for an event aimed at empowering women
- Desert Storm veteran releases military-based time travel novel
- Kim Santino Brings Over 20 Years of Sales and Training Experience to Harbor Point at Centerville
- QIRT Experts Appear as Panelists for 2019 NAHC PDGM Roadshow
- New Single MAIDENS From Singer-Songwriter Stephen Winston Hits The Airwaves
- Announcing Apache ActiveMQ Artemis Support
- AllSight Named Second Generation Master Data Management Vendor by Forrester Research
- Hybrid Studios to Host Annual Artist Relations' Pre-NAMM Event for Third Consecutive Year
- A&A Global Imports Data Security Breach Class Action Investigation
- IBT of Miami explores infrastructure construction in Costa Rica
- Spring Mobile Acquired by Prime Communications
- Martin Williams Releases New Music Video for Simple Things Are Best
- Fuyao North America launching new processing center in Greenville County, South Carolina
- New Jersey Hospital Selects Mobile Solutions from GD & Sonim for Acute Care Team Communications
- New Sermon Podcast from the Rev. Jay Lawlor
- Southern Ocean Made Accredited Business Gets Grant Funding
- Genesis of Tulsa, First Dealership with the G70 in Oklahoma
- Author Trayner Bane Releases Third Book In His Windhollows Children's Fantasy Adventure Series