Popular on eTradeWire
- Las Vegas Walk of Stars to Honor Frank Shankwitz 407
- Brothers Awarded Civil Air Patrol Congressional Gold Medal 159
- National Recording Artist Bre Naí has a Live Performance in Louisiana: Media Alert 6/7/2019 9:30PM 153
- Realistic Salary Expectations for Teaching English Overseas 137
- Island Intellectual Property Sues StoneCastle for $172 million 114
- Defining Digital: Extremist Content Chided, Super Mario Maker 2 Teased, Netflix's "Lelia" + more 113
- New Major Bed Bug Class Action Lawsuit Against Marriott Hotels
- Warm Springs Health & Wellness Center Implements Digisonics Solution for OB Ultrasound
- Arsonist Firebombs Daystar Television Network's Jerusalem Studio
- The Security Event – it did what it said on the tin
Similar on eTradeWire
- "Inspire Your Community" Podcast Donates $1000 to Local Organizations
- McCarthy Southwest Names Lloyd Flowers Project Director
- FineCraft Contractors Was Featured on Houzz.com
- Ground-up construction services in Kansas City
- Alpharetta Retail Renovation Helps Homeless Families
- A Second-Generation Construction Cost Estimation Firm celebrates its 40th Anniversary with an Updated Website
- Signature Electric LLC Named to ABC's Top-performing U.S. Commercial Contractors
- Fishman & Associates Hires Stacy Jackson as Regional Sales Manager
- Regency DRT/DKI awarded prestigious Phoenix Award
- Help Us, Help Them Build A Better Futrue! Donate Today!!
Numbers of Women in Construction Falling 1 Company of self-employed Women Plumbers Stopping the Flow
In 2014 the percentage of tradeswomen in UK hit the giddy heights of 1.2% of all tradespeople; an all time high (figure from Labour Force Survey information from the ONS).
So what has caused the drop since 2014?
There is a massive 'skills gap' for all trades but the numbers of Apprenticeships don't seem to be meeting requirements from trainees enabling them to develop their skills and qualify nor the demand for reliable, skilled trades people from householders. This disproportionally affects women because the majority enter trades at age 27 and over; they don't fit the traditional Apprentice Profile and with homes and (often) families to support, they couldn't survive on Apprentice wages for two years even if they were offered Apprenticeships.
Women in skilled trades are in a Catch 22 situation because they aren't seen as a priority in the industry because of their low numbers but because there is no system to enable women to gain a foothold in the industry their numbers remain low.
Industry competitions and social media give a false impression of higher numbers and levels of support/encouragement than there actually are
"Many trades competitions for example now ensure women are seen to be competing, but the women rarely win because being able to compete should be prize enough for them".
In 2010 Stopcocks Women Plumbers stepped into this breach with their into business and mentoring scheme that came of age in Spring 2017 as a national franchise for female plumbers wanting to run their own businesses. Stopcocks report clear demand from householders around UK for skilled, reliable tradeswomen and would love to meet that demand by expanding into all trades.
More on eTradeWire News
- Tuesday Night Comics at North Coast Rep
- Ideation at North Coast Repertory Theatre
- Springfield Jazz and Roots Festival Set to Draw Thousands to Downtown Springfield on August 10
- Glutamate Dehydrogenase Inhibitor Screening Kit (Fluorometric) K185
- EZClick™ Myristoylated Protein Assay Kit, Red Fluorescence
"We know we have a great system to help tradeswomen set up their own Stopcocks businesses, our gas engineer in St Albans/Herts joined in August and is already almost at capacity, another plumber is able to take her children abroad for the whole school holiday every summer, while another works flexibly so she can do the school run every day. We understand what support tradeswomen need to prosper quickly and we're flexible enough to provide it.
By establishing thriving Stopcocks businesses around the country we will be creating fertile ground for new tradeswomen and making it easier for them to enter the industry"
Since creating an online presence in 2006 Stopcocks Women Plumbers receive on average 1 call or email every week from women wanting help to become plumbers. The franchise was set up to meet this need combined with the requests from customers around the country for easy to find, skilled tradeswomen. Stopcocks, established in 1990 remain the 'go to' company for information about women in skilled trades and plumbing in particular because of their wealth of experience and expertise.
Stopcocks Women Plumbers are the only national franchise of skilled tradeswomen anywhere in the world (as far as we know, and since no one is disagreeing we assume this is correct).
Stopcocks see their mission as providing householders with the choice of a female plumber, or tradeswoman and also helping women into self-employment.
Stopcocks receive no support from CIPHE, BPEC, CITB or any other organisation but continue as the primary company advising, supporting and promoting self-employed women in plumbing nationally.
"We're a business like any other. We're the experts in the industry on the situation within it for women so we're frequently asked by print media, radio and TV for the low-down. Because there is so little support from the industry or anywhere else and we speak out on this we're seen as a campaigning organisation. Actually, we're just interested in running a successful business through helping other [great trades] women run successful businesses"
More on eTradeWire News
- Comic-Con Best Documentary Winner About Artist Who Inspired US Space Program Heads for SoCal Launch
- Axiom Eco-Pest Control Sponsors "Fight the Bite" Blood Drive to Focus on Mosquito Awareness
- Revitalization of the Fashion Business Concept Communicates a Powerful Force
- IFLM Special Shareholders Meeting - Early Notice
- Free Wheelchair Mission's 16th Annual Miracle of Mobility Gala Planned for July 25th
"It's been my dream to help women into self employment through plumbing and all the years of hard work and many failings has made that dream a reality, I couldn't be more thrilled at our current growth" says Hattie Hasan founder of Stopcocks Women Plumbers and author of 'The Joy of Plumbing – a guide to living the life you really REALLY want! (available on Amazon)
Territories already represented include London, Weymouth, Rochdale/Oldham, West Yorkshire, Hertfordshire and very soon Devon.
This franchise opportunity is open to women in jobs as plumbers who want to become self-employed and represents the only one of its kind in the UK perhaps even the world. It aims to provide the very best support for those women in jobs who want to work for themselves. Stopcocks even mentor less experienced women plumbers to become highly competent and confident. Stopcocks plumbers are self-employed but not alone.
As well as training in running a successful plumbing business many of the headaches of self employment like marketing, advertising, phone answering, invoicing and chasing payments are brought in-house so that franchisees can get on with what they love… plumbing.
Stopcocks is accepting franchise applications from women plumbers; any who wish to express an interest should contact Mica through the website http://stopcocks.uk.
We believe Stopcocks Women Plumbers are the only national company of skilled tradeswomen in the world.
Actual figures are not collected in the industry, estimates are that women represent around 1% of all plumbers in UK and that there are 500 Female Gas Engineers. Two thirds of customers state they are 'happy' or 'more than happy' to use a tradeswomen, this is a great business opportunity.
- Junior Achievement to host Bowl-A-Thon on Aug. 21 at HeadPinz
- VoiceNation launches new website for improved UX and streamlined ordering
- The Continuing Adventures of the USS Batfish
- Kintetsu International Holds Milestone Anniversary of their Annual KIE Travel Showcase!
- Quick move-in homes available in vibrant community
- Shell Point's 2019 Summer Concert Series welcomes Aibou Duo July 10
- Medicare Confusion Medicare Supplement or Medicare Advantage Explained – Cary Nagdeman
- Triage Partners Licenses WipIT™ SaaS to Global Logistics Company
- Miami-Dade County Youth Fair & Exposition selects Eduardo Cora as president and CEO
- Blackhawk Plastic Surgery Welcomes Expert Plastic Surgeon, Timothy Rankin MD
- BPM Partners with Local Schools for Earth Day Clean Up
- Wellquest Medical expands Patient Care Services now Offering Telemedicine and Telehealth
- Studio Channel Islands Art Center Welcomes New Board Member
- High Speed Ethernet Data Acquisition
- Salt Lake Refugee Family Family Gets Big Gift From Local Business to Celebrate World Refugee Day
- What Is OfferBot? Mobile Real Estate
- Hundreds gather to take Ice Bucket Challenge, send message
- Country Villa Rehabilitation Center in Irvine Sued for Elder Abuse and Fraud
- Essential Alternatives, makers of Shoe Defenders™ Announces Market Campaign and New Products
- Hurricane prep built into new Cape Coral senior community