Popular on eTradeWire
- Hawaiian Airlines Reservations Cheap Tickets - 1786
- Indiana Roadside Markers on YouTube - 1712
- Viva Tequila Festival Mexico Experience Tour Honored at Taste Awards in the Outstanding Culinary & Travel Experience Category - 1379
- How do I get Access to My Jetblue Travel Savings Account - 1275
- Australians Desperate To Get Back To The Great Outdoors - 1183
- Travel Job Vacancies Double In March - 1024
- State of Yucatán Continues to Position Itself as a Leading Destination for Meetings, Conventions, Inc - 1011
- JetQuay Launches Private Swab Test Facility, Halves Custom Clearance Timing - 951
- Forces Car Hire adds Cruise Deals and Worldwide Holidays to its One Stop Travel Portfolio - 760
- "Exploring Our National Parks, Volume 1" by Michael Finney Released on Audible and Amazon - 609
Similar on eTradeWire
- Black Diamond PR & Sport Management Firm Announces Representation of Running Back, Shannon Warren
- Ormond Outpost/Level 10 Motorsports Relocates
- Ernie Banks' 500th Home Run was Highlight of Eventful 1970 Cub Season
- Black Diamond PR & Sport Management Firm Announces Representation of Wide Receiver, Kevion McDonald
- Better Yourself With Japanese Iaido
- Dignity Health Phoenix Sponsors Norm Lydiard "Breath of Hope" Charity Golf Tournament
- Philadelphia 76ers' guard, Tyrese Maxey announces AAU Team in Garland hometown
- StarCom Racing to Honor John Andretti in Darlington 2021 Throwback Race
- Imagen Golf, Announces $5.00 Lessons for Cinco De Mayo
- VKTRY Insoles Worn By Record 74 Selections In 2021 NFL Draft
William S. Bike, historian and author of the book The Forgotten 1970 Chicago Cubs: Go and Glow, said Pizarro "not only was the best Puerto Rican pitcher to make it to the major leagues in that era, but he was the ace of the Chicago White Sox staff in the early 1960s, and then worked his way into the Chicago Cubs' starting rotation a decade later."
On that early 1960s White Sox team known for its stellar pitching, Pizarro was the ace, the star, although he was the youngest pitcher in the rotation.
After some injuries and mediocre years in the late 1960s, "By 1970, Pizarro was pitching in the minor leagues, when on July 9 the Chicago Cubs, desperate for a left-handed reliever after inexplicably releasing Hank Aguirre less than two weeks before, called him up and rejuvenated his career," Bike said. The Pizarro acquisition was one of several surprising Cub management moves detailed in The Forgotten 1970 Chicago Cubs that showed that for that year at least, "traditionally conservative Cub management was willing to acquire players with bad-dude reputations if they could help the team," Bike added.
More on eTradeWire News
- Matcha Design at 2021 Communicators Awards. Oklahoma Marketing Agency competes with industry giants
- Helping Students find Inner Strength for Outer Stability
- St. Louis' Largest Free Business Networking Event "Network-A-Thon" Coming Virtually on May 19
- Legendary Broadway Star Carole Demas is Celebrating 81 & Thanking Her Fans!
- Meals On Wheels of Tampa Expanding Service Into Riverview and Gibsonton
The next year, to everyone's surprise, the veteran pitcher not only made the team but worked himself into the starting rotation. Pizarro beat New York Mets great Tom Seaver head-to-head twice that year, one of them a September shutout Pizarro won 1-0 when he hit a home run off of Seaver.
A frequent participant in winter baseball, Pizarro also is the Puerto Rican Winter League's all-time leader in strikeouts and shutouts and is a member of the Caribbean and Puerto Rican sports halls of fame. After his retirement as a player, the Cubs showed so much respect for his pitching acumen that they made him a minor league coach. He later coached in Santurce, Puerto Rico and worked for the city's park system.
For more on Juan Pizarro and the 1970 Chicago Cubs, see The Forgotten 1970 Chicago Cubs: Go and Glow, to be published by The History Press on May 17, 2021. https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Products/9781467149082.
William S. Bike
- Ya se viene Agile World en Español!
- Lifetimeaward by Telewellness sponsoring LSX Healthspan show along with industry leaders
- June 6, 2021 "Sail to Freedom NYC" Event
- AdvisorSmith Finds the Average Cost of Pet Insurance
- Dr. Ju Dong Yang joins the Los Angeles Gastroenterology Group
- Symetra Classic Returns to Davidson
- Charleston Entrepreneur, Blake Miller, Increases Stake in Charleston Roofs and Windows
- Industrial Steam has completed the install of a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC)
- NHE Property Management Named One of the Top Large Workplaces in South Carolina
- Five Business Intelligence Tools to Save Your Bottom Line
- CPG e-Commerce Without Business Intelligence
- Tampa office park in the I-75 Corridor sells for $11.39 million
- Good, Better, Best: Evaluating e-Commerce Analytics Tools
- Ormond Outpost/Level 10 Motorsports Relocates
- New from Down & Out Books: ROUGHHOUSE by Jeffery Hess
- 2015 BMW 3 Series For Sale in Toronto
- Alliance Technologies LLC. Names John Unger Vice-President of Data Services
- All You Need to Know About Heated Floors
- GREAT DEAL on a GTA Used Nissan Rogue at Good Fellows
- HD PHYSICAL THERAPY Wakefield Celebrates 9 Year Milestone