Popular on eTradeWire
- Several UK Mortgage businesses have now successfully franchised their operations 438
- Bedfont adds 2 new respiratory specialists to its NObreath® Medical Advisory Board 122
- Academia.edu Picks Marshall Barnes Paper, 'Killing Closed Time-Like Curves', for Special Promotion 119
- South Coast Improvement, Co. wins renovation project at Sunrise Senior Living
- Reality TV Star's Husband, Dallas Fire Department and Operation Kindness Save Kitten
- MC Companies Clears The Air On New Smoking Policies
- Compassionate In-Home Care, Inc. Earns 2018 Angie's List Super Service Award
- Lapels Dry Cleaning annual clothing drive to benefit Big Brother Big Sister Foundation
- Roofers On Demand Best Roofers
- PhyberTech: A multi-faceted tech firm founded by tech prodigy Pratik KC
Similar on eTradeWire
- Top Spec Mini Pc | Special Offer | £500 Off This Week
- MMX Launches Adult Domain Name Trademark Protection Service
- realMethods Addresses Lingering Gap In DevOps, CI/CD Processes With The Release Of New Continuous Generation™ Technology
- ORPALIS Launches Website and New Version of Virtual Barcode Reader
- Delaware Nation Industries continues growth with new federal contracts
- Joulescope™ launches today, empowers engineers to extend battery life
- Freelancers Incubator launches powerful learning platform for independent workers around the world
- ORPALIS Launches AvePDF Free Online PDF and Documents Tools
- Great Pizza meets Cybersecurity at FREE event 7/24
- A New Approach to Changing the Ratio in Tech - Breaking Barriers Through Open Source
Renishaw used its existing RESOLUTE product as the starting point and retrospectively applied the IEC 61508 standard to develop RESOLUTE FS, which is the company's first absolute encoder product to be certified for the functional safety market. RESOLUTE FS is intended for markets where the encoder feedback must be functionally safe for machinery requiring safe motion functions, such as Safely Limited Speed or SLS. Using an encoder system that is already rated for use in these applications enables machine builders to make safer machines with higher functionality, reduced set-up times, and less machine downtime.
More on eTradeWire News
- Tokyu Hotel Corporation Announces Grand Opening of the Osaka Excel Hotel Tokyu, November 1, 2019
- Apex Officer of the Week Launches to Honor Police and Law Enforcement Officers
- New Yoga Book Offers "Motivational Lessons" for Lasting Lifestyle Changes
- Toll Brothers Colorado honored for second year in Best Workplace Awards
- Houston's office market recovery hits a speed bump in Q2
"Much of the firmware was already written, but the development process was not in accordance with IEC 61508 SIL2," said Liz Smith, Senior Software Engineer at Renishaw. "With new, detailed requirements in place, static analysis was a logical starting point for re-engineering the code. We had confidence in LDRA from the start, based on the recommendations of consultants and certification authority, the CSA. In addition, the availability of LDRArules stand-alone gave us the opportunity to experience the quality of LDRA products and support without committing upfront to the whole tool suite."
IEC 61508 provides clearly defined requirements relating to language selection for the development of safety-related software. The UK's Motor Industry Software Reliability Association (MISRA) has established a set of guidelines for the use of C language in safety-critical systems, and these guidelines were followed by Renishaw to meet those requirements. The retrospective application of MISRA C:2012 to existing source code required a new, more challenging level of detail. LDRArules helped significantly in that the MISRA guidelines are frequently broken down in the LDRA reporting schema to less generic, more concise definitions, complete with practical examples of violations. This improved granularity made it easier to understand the relationship of each individual rule violation, which was reinforced by the detailed explanations in the LDRA documentation.
Unit and regression testing with efficiency
Renishaw's successful experience with LDRA's static analysis tools led to an easy decision to extend its commitment further to the acquisition of the LDRA TBrun Unit Test tool. Renishaw needed an efficient way of unit testing and of showing code coverage associated with that testing in order to comply with the requirements of the standard. Although it is possible to develop unit tests using a simulator, Renishaw opted to do all of their testing on their target hardware, the Analog Devices Blackfin DSP BF534. The development team was very familiar with both the device and its debugging environment, and there was very little overhead involved in downloading and executing the tests on target.
More on eTradeWire News
- Made in America! Calling for Municipalities to Reduce Greenhouse Gases – ECOFuelMax
- Flutist Kim Scott Releases New CD "Free To Be" on Innervision Records
- David R. Larson Joins Jmn Logistics & Transportation As Chief Commercial Officer
- New Thought Scholar Reveals the "Secret" of Think and Grow Rich
- QIRT Hosts Educational Conference in Advance of Home Health Industry Payment Model Changes
"In addition to completing the unit tests to demonstrate adherence to the IEC 61508 standard, we were also enthused about the ability to perform regression tests with ease," said Liz Smith. "During development, regression tests allowed us to ensure that new modifications didn't affect existing functionality and, less obviously, they also gave us the ability to easily confirm that software is functioning in accordance with requirements if problems were to arise."
"Renishaw applied the LDRA products with the specific aim of certification for RESOLUTE FS," said Ian Hennell, Operations Director, LDRA. "However, thanks to the ease of use of the LDRA tool suite, sound development processes, and the support we provided along Renishaw's path to compliance, the RESOLUTE FS team now intends to continue to follow IEC 61508 methodologies and apply the tool suite in future. For Renishaw, the benefits of an exemplary development process reinforced by the LDRA tool suite speak for themselves in the development of cost effective, thoroughly tested, high quality software."
To learn more about Renishaw's IEC 61508 upgrade, visit www.ldra.com/renishaw or watch a video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD21uzZApf0&feature=youtu.be).
Hughes Communications, Inc.
- Circadence Wins Silver Award for inCyt from International Serious Play Awards Competition
- The Family Business Antonio's Pizza Opens Antonio's Brew Wall, a Pizzeria & Taproom Concept Featu
- FetchRev Goes Global with Automated Marketing Platform for Local Merchants
- Camping Glamping & More: Your One Stop Shop for Camping Supplies
- SimplePractice Celebrates Partnership with The Gottman Institute
- Your Security Pros: State-of-the-Art Surveillance Systems to Keep Your Valuables Safe
- Accurate Brazing Expanding Operations in South Carolina
- Keno Kozie Associates and HBR Managed Services Partner for Webinar on Bimodal IT
- Flywheel Uses Lola.com and Expensify to Streamline T&E Reporting
- Kitchen Asset: Make Dinner Memorable with Premium Kitchen Accessories
- Ars Musica Chorale Seeks Music Director/Conductor
- National Transportation acquires Destination Shuttle Systems of Los Angeles
- Red River Zoo Consolidates Systems with TRYTN
- Philly vs Everyone as Team Flip Murray brings back Pro-Am Summer League Rivalry to big East Coast C
- Henley printer cuts the cost of LED lighting with grant funding
- Top Spec Mini Pc | Special Offer | £500 Off This Week
- Saelig Introduces PicoScope 4823 8-Channel Automotive Oscilloscope
- Children's Franchises happen to be one of the consistently well-performing UK business sectors
- Whistleblowing E-learning Course Launched by Engage in Learning
- BCS Named to 2019 MSP 501 List of Top Managed Services Providers