Popular on eTradeWire
- The Frontline Falls Behind: Ineffective Training Threatens Financial Institutions, Says Support EXP 215
- Menke to present at the 2019 Employee Ownership Conference 209
- EmeryStation West lease with Novartis 195
- NAACP Reveals Nominations For The 28th Annual Theatre Awards 140
- Jill Liberman & Sean Kanan To Guest On The Jimmy Star Show With Ron Russell Wednesday Marcy 27, 2019 138
- Hip-Hop Music Industry 2019 News 133
- Vacation Rental Puerta a la Playa joins the VisitLaManzanilla.com family 130
- Sales Jobs in Houston a Hidden Secret
- Ventura College Foundation Announces Recipients of First Allied Health Scholarships
- Lil Cory Becomes Legally Blind
Similar on eTradeWire
- Performance Architects' Kirby Lunger and Astha Patni Win Top OATUG Awards at COLLABORATE 19 for Oracle Users Community Contributions
- Collaboration between MommyDaddyMe.com and Jersey College of Girls
- Hedvig adds enterprise encryption key management with Cryptsoft
- Lantek names Unai Asla new financial director
- The Sales Lead Management Association Announces the Winners of Its '20 Women to Watch' Annual Recognition Program
- Next generation Industrial NAS Servers 1U, 2U, 4U -48V, -72V & 110V DC Battery powered NAS Servers available from Cepoint Networks
- New think tank launches in Australia to combat growing threat of electronic waste
- The Vested Group Acquires Meridian Business Services
- ExcelLaptopParts.com now stocks Acer Aspire R5-571 Laptop Parts
- LV Techie Awards honors 'game-changing' women in IT field
Renishaw used its existing RESOLUTE product as the starting point and retrospectively applied the IEC 61508 standard to develop RESOLUTE FS, which is the company's first absolute encoder product to be certified for the functional safety market. RESOLUTE FS is intended for markets where the encoder feedback must be functionally safe for machinery requiring safe motion functions, such as Safely Limited Speed or SLS. Using an encoder system that is already rated for use in these applications enables machine builders to make safer machines with higher functionality, reduced set-up times, and less machine downtime.
More on eTradeWire News
- Jazz Composer Aziza Miller Appears on the GingerNewYork TV Show in New York City
- Prolific Press Has Published Final Arrangements by Mickey Corrigan
- Prolific Press Has Published The Impressionist Painter by Alan Humason
- Inspiring Florida Musical Artist announces First World Tour; Listen to Album on iTunes
- How Mass Shootings Affected my Work as a Filmmaker
"Much of the firmware was already written, but the development process was not in accordance with IEC 61508 SIL2," said Liz Smith, Senior Software Engineer at Renishaw. "With new, detailed requirements in place, static analysis was a logical starting point for re-engineering the code. We had confidence in LDRA from the start, based on the recommendations of consultants and certification authority, the CSA. In addition, the availability of LDRArules stand-alone gave us the opportunity to experience the quality of LDRA products and support without committing upfront to the whole tool suite."
IEC 61508 provides clearly defined requirements relating to language selection for the development of safety-related software. The UK's Motor Industry Software Reliability Association (MISRA) has established a set of guidelines for the use of C language in safety-critical systems, and these guidelines were followed by Renishaw to meet those requirements. The retrospective application of MISRA C:2012 to existing source code required a new, more challenging level of detail. LDRArules helped significantly in that the MISRA guidelines are frequently broken down in the LDRA reporting schema to less generic, more concise definitions, complete with practical examples of violations. This improved granularity made it easier to understand the relationship of each individual rule violation, which was reinforced by the detailed explanations in the LDRA documentation.
Unit and regression testing with efficiency
Renishaw's successful experience with LDRA's static analysis tools led to an easy decision to extend its commitment further to the acquisition of the LDRA TBrun Unit Test tool. Renishaw needed an efficient way of unit testing and of showing code coverage associated with that testing in order to comply with the requirements of the standard. Although it is possible to develop unit tests using a simulator, Renishaw opted to do all of their testing on their target hardware, the Analog Devices Blackfin DSP BF534. The development team was very familiar with both the device and its debugging environment, and there was very little overhead involved in downloading and executing the tests on target.
More on eTradeWire News
- Comments to the Reserve Bank of India on Blockchain, Crypto
- Simple Steps to Control Your Child's Asthma – advice from pediatrician Kenneth Pomar Rebong, MD
- Giving Back To Our Veterans and Military Through Song at The 2019 Josie Music Awards Event!
- iHarvest™-The Future of Gardening is Indoors
- Grammy Winner Headlines Vegas Jazz Eclectic Concert Series
"In addition to completing the unit tests to demonstrate adherence to the IEC 61508 standard, we were also enthused about the ability to perform regression tests with ease," said Liz Smith. "During development, regression tests allowed us to ensure that new modifications didn't affect existing functionality and, less obviously, they also gave us the ability to easily confirm that software is functioning in accordance with requirements if problems were to arise."
"Renishaw applied the LDRA products with the specific aim of certification for RESOLUTE FS," said Ian Hennell, Operations Director, LDRA. "However, thanks to the ease of use of the LDRA tool suite, sound development processes, and the support we provided along Renishaw's path to compliance, the RESOLUTE FS team now intends to continue to follow IEC 61508 methodologies and apply the tool suite in future. For Renishaw, the benefits of an exemplary development process reinforced by the LDRA tool suite speak for themselves in the development of cost effective, thoroughly tested, high quality software."
To learn more about Renishaw's IEC 61508 upgrade, visit www.ldra.com/renishaw or watch a video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD21uzZApf0&feature=youtu.be).
Hughes Communications, Inc.
- Exclusive Analysis Discovers Most Popular Mattress Brands In The US
- OneAZ Credit Union celebrates Earth Day with special Tesla financing options and Radio Flyer Tesla Model S giveaway
- LMS50 Adds Additional Online Safety Training Titles
- Holocaust survivor's granddaughter pens memoir about what happens when corrupt leaders in charge
- Naacp Memphis Branch, The New Tri-state Defender & Kroger Delta Division Announce Grant Winners
- Drummer Bob Holz in Modern Drummer Magazine
- National Association of Black Journalists to Host Regional Conference in Cincinnati
- First Bancorp of Indiana, Inc. Announces Financial Results
- Kroger Health Partners With FoodNiche To Drive Conversation On Healthier Future of Food
- Milk Hall of Fame Announces USA and International 2020 Spokesmodel Video and Photographic Auditions Have Begun - in Your Own Language
- Kintsugi / Kintsukuroi Art - How it is Made, Where to Buy Pottery with Gold Repair? Available in The USA
- "I Like To Eat Children" by Author Reagan Rothe Now Available in Audiobook Format Worldwide
- 651vinyl.com Adds Siser Brick 600 to Product Line
- Celebrate Easter with Exciting Offers on Kids Accessories by ShopEnglish. Visit us today!
- Saf-Gard Safety Shoe Company Opens New Location in York, PA
- Another Home Run Murder Mystery Now Showing
- Blac Chyna Negotiations with Warner Bros. Move Forward
- MFASCO awarded a GSA with the assistance of Mr. Brian Charles with Government Marketplace LLC
- Arctic Encounter Presents 6th Annual Flagship Symposium
- Saf-Gard/Vulcan Safety Shoe Company Opens Location in Charleston, SC