Popular on eTradeWire
- Actress & Musician Linda Collins Uses Diverse Entertainment Background to Bring Unique Edge to Roles 1283
- Chelsea Village Selects Corner Property Management for Upscale Residences in Bridgewater Township NJ 1089
- Jason McIntosh--Apartment Association of Metro Denver Executive of the Year Finalist 1022
- ASA Appraisal Courses at Massachusetts College of Art and Design 342
- Uniting Cultures through Art and spreading Freedom - BantuFest Organization speaks on it 331
- Chubb Announced as Official Insurance Provider and Main Sponsor of 29th Edition of Art Miami 297
- Answers to the top 5 questions about concrete fasteners 217
- Seaside Art Gallery Announces "INspired by the Masters" with Artist Debra Keirce 209
- In BLOOD OF THE FAE by Tom Mohan, Sometimes the Past Is Better Left Unknown… 199
- Speakeasy Art Gallery presents: ezerd - robots! robots! robots! 199
Similar on eTradeWire
- Arbor Ridge Partners Advises Esquify on its Sale to Xact Data Discovery
- USAM Group Streamlines Access to Innovative Technology in Asia
- iPhone Eraser: ProtectStar announces new update of iShredder iOS and iShredder Mobile Enterprise
- IT Glue Announces GlueX - The Company's Evolved 2019 User Event
- MacCase Begins Pre-Ordering for 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 and 11 Cases
- Tech Dynamix Brings Affordable Business IT Support to Northeast Ohio
- TCG Officially Welcomed with Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- Axiomtek Delivers Versatility and Enhanced Security with SMARC v2.0 System on Module - The SCM180
- Introducing Separate Ways, Inc. a new Florida company focusing on Florida divorce documents
Renishaw used its existing RESOLUTE product as the starting point and retrospectively applied the IEC 61508 standard to develop RESOLUTE FS, which is the company's first absolute encoder product to be certified for the functional safety market. RESOLUTE FS is intended for markets where the encoder feedback must be functionally safe for machinery requiring safe motion functions, such as Safely Limited Speed or SLS. Using an encoder system that is already rated for use in these applications enables machine builders to make safer machines with higher functionality, reduced set-up times, and less machine downtime.
More on eTradeWire News
- Ryan Boyer Realtor Shares Priority Tasks for you when you move
- Farmington High School String Quartet to join the pros
- The State of Sundance Realty and the Oregon Market: November 2018
- Anderson Trade on Dealing with Hazardous Dusts with H-Class Vacuum Cleaners
- Resolutions 2019 on View at the Hillsborough Gallery of Arts
- Project Boon Partners with Inland Valley Recovery Services (IVRS) to Boost Community Outreach
- Attracting & Retaining People – Myths, Magic or Mayhem (Part 2)
"Much of the firmware was already written, but the development process was not in accordance with IEC 61508 SIL2," said Liz Smith, Senior Software Engineer at Renishaw. "With new, detailed requirements in place, static analysis was a logical starting point for re-engineering the code. We had confidence in LDRA from the start, based on the recommendations of consultants and certification authority, the CSA. In addition, the availability of LDRArules stand-alone gave us the opportunity to experience the quality of LDRA products and support without committing upfront to the whole tool suite."
IEC 61508 provides clearly defined requirements relating to language selection for the development of safety-related software. The UK's Motor Industry Software Reliability Association (MISRA) has established a set of guidelines for the use of C language in safety-critical systems, and these guidelines were followed by Renishaw to meet those requirements. The retrospective application of MISRA C:2012 to existing source code required a new, more challenging level of detail. LDRArules helped significantly in that the MISRA guidelines are frequently broken down in the LDRA reporting schema to less generic, more concise definitions, complete with practical examples of violations. This improved granularity made it easier to understand the relationship of each individual rule violation, which was reinforced by the detailed explanations in the LDRA documentation.
Unit and regression testing with efficiency
Renishaw's successful experience with LDRA's static analysis tools led to an easy decision to extend its commitment further to the acquisition of the LDRA TBrun Unit Test tool. Renishaw needed an efficient way of unit testing and of showing code coverage associated with that testing in order to comply with the requirements of the standard. Although it is possible to develop unit tests using a simulator, Renishaw opted to do all of their testing on their target hardware, the Analog Devices Blackfin DSP BF534. The development team was very familiar with both the device and its debugging environment, and there was very little overhead involved in downloading and executing the tests on target.
More on eTradeWire News
- New Original Christmas Music from Renowned Producer
- Andrew Brown's Classic Parade is Adding More Supercars to Growing Fleet in 2019
- Brick Scholar Founder Invited to Meet Finnish General Consul in NYC
- Dave Cox DUI Seminar Gets Wonderful Reviews From Louisiana DUI Attorneys
- Tanjo Selected As "cool Vendor" By Gartner
- Totally Nutz® Franchise Ownership - No Territory Restrictions
- Stand 4 Success: Take Control of Your Health
"In addition to completing the unit tests to demonstrate adherence to the IEC 61508 standard, we were also enthused about the ability to perform regression tests with ease," said Liz Smith. "During development, regression tests allowed us to ensure that new modifications didn't affect existing functionality and, less obviously, they also gave us the ability to easily confirm that software is functioning in accordance with requirements if problems were to arise."
"Renishaw applied the LDRA products with the specific aim of certification for RESOLUTE FS," said Ian Hennell, Operations Director, LDRA. "However, thanks to the ease of use of the LDRA tool suite, sound development processes, and the support we provided along Renishaw's path to compliance, the RESOLUTE FS team now intends to continue to follow IEC 61508 methodologies and apply the tool suite in future. For Renishaw, the benefits of an exemplary development process reinforced by the LDRA tool suite speak for themselves in the development of cost effective, thoroughly tested, high quality software."
To learn more about Renishaw's IEC 61508 upgrade, visit www.ldra.com/renishaw or watch a video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD21uzZApf0&feature=youtu.be).
Hughes Communications, Inc.
- Campus furniture that builds a community
- Norman Love Confections presents 2019 Valentine's Day Collection, Forgotten Love
- New franchisees join fast-growing Bonita Springs-based company
- Orbex and University of Alabama Leverage SoftInWay's Newly Launched AxSTREAM Space™ Bundle
- Cavignac & Associates Employees Donate Over $21,000 to Local San Diego Charities
- Ronald McDonald House Recognizes Cecilia Russo Turner with Community Impact Award
- SCF Communications and Marketing Department Wins Seven State Awards
- Local leaders celebrate groundbreaking of new all-inclusive resort-style retirement community
- Internationally-acclaimed pianist is artist-in-residence with Scottsdale Philharmonic
- Heritage Hunt Announced as a Winner of The Knot Best of Weddings 2019
- New model home showcases enticing opportunities at Rails End
- Are Owners Ready for a Seismic Wealth Transfer?
- Central Parts Warehouse "Pink Plow Parts" Catalog Supporting Breast Cancer Research Foundation
- Filmmakers Compete for Fame, Glory (and Cash) at the streaming IndieBoom Festival
- Dec. 17 public hearing will address proposed change to Lee County's limerock policy
- Lennar Grand Opens The Elements at Sterling Meadows Saturday, December 15
- Subaru of Indiana Automotive Foundation awards more than $90,000 in grants to 12 Indiana nonprofits
- "The Sugar Merchant" by James Hutson-Wiley is published
- Port Arthur talent Faith Johnson to star in The Color Purple - The Musical About Love
- "Animaniacs in Concert!" Starring Voice Legend Rob Paulsen Heads to Luther Burbank Middle School