Popular on eTradeWire
- Ismail Sirdah on How to Enhance Your Marketing Efforts - 203
- Rising Attention on Trauma Recovery Highlighted by Slew of New Products Designed for Mental Health Support - 183
- Central Park Resale (CPR) Brings Consignment, Resale and Thrift Store to Central Park West Community; Location is First Resale Store in CPW Community - 136
- David A. Fiensy Releases New Book - The Journey: Spiritual Growth in Galatians and Philippians - 124
- What to do when someone dies in your family? - 119
- FIXED OPS DIGITAL Announces New Drive Service SPECIALS Product - 119
- FREE ROKU Channel From ProPics Canada Media Going Live Around the World - 111
- Journey Medical Corp Announces New Journey with the Experts Video Featuring David Gorsulowsky, MD
- GT Medical Technologies Spotlights its GammaTile® Therapy for Brain Tumors at the 2021 Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
- Antoine Dunn's LOSE IT ALL premiers on BET SOUL as Song Breaks BILLBOARD R&B Top 40 Charts
Similar on eTradeWire
- CBC Releases Leica Geosystems BLK247 Smart 3D Surveillance System now available in two versions and integrated with CORTROL VMS
- Tri-Service Open Architecture Interoperability Demonstration to Focus on Modular Open Systems Approach (MOSA) Innovations in March 2022 Event
- U.S. Counting on Georgia to Criminally Prosecute Trump - Chairman
- DOT drug screen ensures federal compliance for your drivers
- The Bar Association of D.C. Mourns the Loss of former U.S. Secretary of State, Hon. Colin Powell
- Black Mountain Town Hall Meeting with David Hurley, Candidate for Buncombe County Sheriff
- VetsTurn: Woodturning Equipment and Training Provided to US Veterans By ToolMetrix
- Charlotte Street To Be Renamed In Honor Of Montford Point Marines
- The End to Gerrymandering in Michigan?
- Calumet City Mayor/State Rep Jones Misappropriates Clerk Figgs Signature and Usurps her Authority
The resolution's call for Paul's immediate release on humanitarian grounds is very welcome news. We are pleased that the European Parliament is committed to applying pressure to the Rwandan government through its various diplomatic representations. In addition, the resolution amplifies the crucial need to keep Paul safe and provide him with appropriate medical care while he is still a detained political prisoner.
European Parliamentarian Kathleen Van Brempt summarized the decision well by stating: "In the first resolution last February, the EP denounced abduction and torture, and asked for a guarantee of fair trial for Paul Rusesabagina. We stand here again because he didn't receive a fair trial. This was confirmed by the Belgian Foreign Ministry, US State Department, and numerous foreign ministries. He didn't get a lawyer, and only got court documents three days before the trial. His lawyers and family were intimidated. Witnesses weren't cross-examined, even when they gave conflicting statements. Co-accused were pressured to give evidence against him. The sentence of 25 years is a death sentence. He is 62 (actually 67) years old and a cancer survivor and he needs care. Most importantly, he is a Belgian, an EU citizen and a US resident. We are responsible for his fundamental human rights that are fundamentally violated by Rwanda. We need to do everything to get him into safety."
More on eTradeWire News
- Costacos Collection Announces Inaugural NFT Drop with Baseball Legend Willie Mays
- Dentist, Transformational Coach and Consultant, Dr. Teresa Faye Morris, Hit Amazon Best-Seller Lists
- Dairy Queen's Miracle Treat Day helps serve hope for kids Oct. 28
- Public-private Partnership Delivers Critical Resource To Los Angeles Foster Families
- The historic antebellum Adams French mansion home in Aberdeen, Mississippi is for sale, for $750,000
Parliamentarian Hilde Vautmans added that: "You do not kidnap someone to give him a fair trial." In response to the resolution, she made a strong argument that the EP resolution sends "one clear message to the Rwandan authorities - Paul Rusesabagina is ill. Release him on humanitarian grounds and let him be repatriated, without reference to his guilt or innocence." Others in the EP discussion noted that steps need to be taken now to repatriate Paul Rusesabagina to either the United States or Belgium, and other were clearly appalled at what was called the "steadily increasing repression in Rwanda."
The guilty verdict in this case was anticipated from the start based on the long history of Rwandan mistreatment and show trials for political prisoners. The European Parliament has joined other governmental organizations, international legal groups and human rights groups in decrying the trial. This purely show trial featured a dictatorship calling a humanitarian critic a "terrorist," and then providing no credible evidence that the crimes alleged ever happened.
Since the trial, the Rwandan government has continued its attempts to convict Paul in the press. It is not enough for them to declare him guilty, they also want to slander his name as much as possible and try to undercut support for his release. Through social media, the captive Rwandan press and government spokespeople, the Rwandans have even exaggerated the charges since the trial ended, accusing Paul of crimes that were not even brought up at the trial or in the indictment. These are not the tactics of a fair justice system, but rather the political efforts of a government desperately trying to justify its own actions.
More on eTradeWire News
- 'Women In Real Estate' Host Empowerment Networking Event at Tower City In Cleveland, Oh
- Sacrifices Hold the Beauty of Forgiveness in Rachel Homard's The Black Circle
- "American Underdog" — w/ Kurt & Brenda Warner — serves as the Centerpiece at 30th SLIFF
- Live Release for World Celebrate Heart Day
- Benchmark International Successfully Facilitated the Transaction between Warnock Tanner & Associates
The international community has all of the evidence and the press has provided excellent reports to date on the numerous flaws in this trial. Now is the time to increase the pressure to free Paul Rusesabagina.
Twitter: @freethehero (https://twitter.com/freethehero)
Facebook: @FreePaulRusesabagina (https://www.facebook.com/FreePaulRusesabagina)
Instagram: #FreeRusesabagina (https://www.instagram.com/freerusesabagina/?hl=en)
TikTok: #FreeRusesabagina (https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJyXmy5k/)
- Safewill raises $3 million from Westpac's Reinventure Fund to rethink how Australians pass away
- From Sandy Hook to the World: How One Woman Turned Tragedy into Triumph
- Get a Bee Removal Estimate Today!
- Clear your Schedules for the Team Integrity: Build Your Trucking Empire Mentorship
- 46th Annual Saturn Awards Hosted at L.A. Marriott Burbank Hotel
- Security Guard Services & Private Investigation Services & Security Systems Services - In Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Ajax, - LiGER Security
- Detroit Sewn Launches New Option for American Made Hoodies
- Huffines Communities Breaks Ground on Solterra, Mesquite's Largest Community
- Leadership NEXT networking social Nov. 9 to provide pre-session legislation update
- Samsun & Necole Awarded Contract For Andersson Windows And Doors Ltd
- Writer of Marvel Comics' 'The Punisher' Depicts Cops as Heroes in Brand New Graphic Novel
- NASCAR's Anthony Alfredo's Secret To A Quick Escape From Car Fire
- South Shore Chamber of Commerce Hosts Ribbon Cutting for New HardKore Athletic Performance Center
- The English-Speaking Union of the United States announces Dr. Quinn Peeper as new Chairman
- Priority Marketing hires Payton Richárd as marketing coordinator
- Preston Adams Joins RE/MAX Alliance Group
- West Chester Elks Lodge 853 Award 2021 Scholarship
- Provender Partners Acquires 570K-SF Temperature Controlled Building in Manteno, IL for $30 Million
- Jewish Federation of Greater Naples announces its annual community-wide Chanukah celebration Nov. 29
- Families of World War II Veterans Holds 2021 Fundraising Golf Tournament