Popular on eTradeWire
- Mona Clayton, RN Launches Mix & Mentor emPOWER Hour Global Tour at Hotel 50 Bowery 116
- Even Neutral Switzerland Can't Stomach Philip Morris
- Variety – The Children's Charity of Wisconsin CEO on Modern Living with kathy ireland®
- Justices Free Up Funding For Trump's Wall
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Abilene Celebrates Topping Off
- Goldberg Brothers ships new folding barn door hardware
- Shuvu Banim Announces Israeli Rabbi Eliyahu Merav Video Statement of Support for Rabbi Berland
- Radio Vet Connie Birth returns to The Spin Awards as the Red Carpet host
- Macy's Caves Over "Fat Shaming," But Maybe It Works
- Lyn Ross of Institut' Dermed Prize Winner in the 2019 Skin Games Compassionate Category
Similar on eTradeWire
- Two Ways Home, starring Tanna Frederick and Tom Bower an official Women Texas Film Festival selection will be screening on Saturday, August 17th
- Disruptive Startup Award @ Stanford
- GA Gov visits Atlanta area community health center saving eyesight of under served Georgians
- C&B Capital Invests in Largest Chronic Care Management Provider, ChartSpan
- Hundreds take to social media to pledge a month of Wellness
- eMeasures360™ version 9.0 Achieves ONC HIT 2015 Edition Modular EHR Certification
- Medicom Health Achieves HITRUST CSF Certification to Mitigate Risk in Third Party Privacy, S
- Dina Saalisi Healing Arts Offers Flower Essences Healing Sessions in Los Angeles
- NCHEC Achieves Re-Accreditation from the International Accreditation Service (IAS), Celebrates "Cu
- Anchorage Chiropractor Offers Free Chiropractic Consultation to Veterans
While upper extremity orthopedics refers to any process that is undertaken to treat a problem in the bones, joints, muscles, tissues, nerves, ligaments, and tendons of the hand and upper extremity area, this article focuses on elbow surgeries.
Elbow is a hinge joint that connects the upper arm to the forearm via humerus and the radius and ulna, respectively. The joint is held together by the lateral collateral ligament (LCL) from the outside and the medial collateral ligament (MCL) from the inside. The joint is also surrounded by a set of muscles that facilitate its movements. The muscles are attached to the bones via tendons and protected by the cartilage covers at the ends. For further protection and lubrication of the joint, bursa sacs are present.
More on eTradeWire News
- How to Play Sudoku - How to Solve a Sudoku for Beginners
- Chicago rapper shares five tips for upstart musicians
- My Family's Favorite Crock Pot Dinners
- Fishman & Associates Supports Design of the New Café Venice
- Military Writers Society of America (MWSA) Announces its 2019 Season Awards Finalists
Just like all other areas of medicine, surgeries make one category of treatment procedures for conditions that affect the structure and/or functioning of the elbows. The elbow joint can get affected due to a variety of reasons, such as injuries, diseases, trauma, aging, and overuse. Common diseases and elbow conditions that may require surgery for treatment include:
* Elbow stiffness
* Bone spur
* Ulnar and radial nerve entrapment
* Elbow instability
In most cases, surgery is the last choice of treatment and is only suggested or opted for when other measures, such as treatment, injection, splints, and physiotherapies, fail to provide relief.
Elbow surgeries can be performed in the following two ways:
1. Open Surgery
The surgical procedures performed in traditional ways i.e. by making incisions on or around the affected area are called open surgeries.
2. Arthroscopic Surgery
Also called keyhole or minimally invasive surgeries, they are performed by using an endoscope. These types of surgeries have been increasingly preferred because of minimal incisions and shorter recovery periods.
An example of a widely performed elbow surgery is Ulnar Nerve Decompression/Transposition. As evident from the name, this surgical procedure is performed to relieve pressure, and when necessary, reposition the ulnar nerve, which is responsible for providing muscles nerve supply and sensation to the forearm and the hand. Several factors can cause the ulnar nerve to get pressured and compressed and causes pain, numbness, and/or irritation in the elbow.
More on eTradeWire News
- John Travolta To Make Wizard World Debut In Chicago, Saturday, August 24
- Best Empowering Book By A Latino 2019
- A High-Flying Online Web-Store Selling Silver Jewellery Announces Its Latest Collection Of Silver Rings
- Greater Twin Cities Honda Dealers Giving Away a 2019 Honda Passport at Minnesota State Fair
- Lola's Lashes bring game-changing magnetic lashes and eyeliner to the UK
Some conditions that may increase the risk of ulnar nerve compression are cubital tunnel syndrome, fracture of the medial epicondyle – the area where the nerve is naturally located, rheumatoid arthritis, or even due to leaning of the elbow on a hard surface for a prolonged period of time.
During the ulnar nerve transposition surgery, the nerve is relocated from behind the medial epicondyle (its natural position) to the front of the elbow, so it no longer gets compressed or pinched.
Elbow surgeries are one of the most crucial ways for treating pain, swelling, tearing, fracture, or dislocation of the muscles, tendons, tissues, and bones that form the elbow joint. Hence, they make a crucial category of the upper extremity orthopedics.
*** Dr. Leonard J Marchinski is a medical doctor in Pennsylvania, focusing on orthopedic surgery.
Dr. Leonard J. Marchinski
- EMI Filters for PWM-Driven Motors Prevent Bearing Damage and Reduce EMI in Equipment
- Can we wrap, letter and decal your entire fleet of trucks, no matter how big or small? YES, WE CAN!
- New Graphic Design Service Offers Unbeatable Prices
- Stride Movers Announces Free Moving Supplies Promotion
- Learn about the Opportunity Zone in Flagler County Aug. 20
- Concierge Auctions' Summer Mountain Auction Kicks off with Six Global Sales and Record Price in Wyoming
- Dustin Burrows resigns as caucus chair amid allegations, will Burrows make a statement?
- The Partnership to Provide Detroit Jazz Fest Shuttles Continues
- Interview with Dr. Tony Nettleman of Nettleman Institute of Land Surveying Engineering Technology
- Amateur Treasure Hunter From New Mexico Wins The Tesla Dream Giveaway!
- Experienced Financial Advisor Chooses Cutter & Company in Launching Her Own Independent Firm
- IoT Data Logging with Expert Devices
- Work 365 Sync for Self-Service and Provisioning Automation
- Celebrity Charity Football Tournament at Seaford FC in Sussex for 4 Charities
- Bravo's Married To Medicine Reality Star Draws Breast Cancer Survivors to Atlanta's City Hall
- Gaslowitz Frankel Attorneys Recognized in 2020 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- Jazz Across the Water, Bordum and Rhodes
- Kelley Kronenberg's Alison Verges Walters Named a Top Women Leader in Accounts Receivable
- Disruptive Startup Award @ Stanford
- The Beautiful Day Un Dia Bonito Magazine inspired by the Show hitting the Tri-State region