Popular on eTradeWire
- Nike Releases "uprising" A Haitian Revolution Inspired Limited Edition Sneaker 457
- Beacon People Solutions Releases HIDDEN TALENTS by Maryanne DiMarzo and Amy Acker 103
- Dr. Deborah Tannen to Keynote "Empowered Women, Empower Men & Women" on Dec. 5 in San Francisco 101
- WomanUP! Empowers the Next Generation of Real Estate Leaders
- Prince Crowe Signs With Tcb Records
- Anchorage Entrepreneur, Molly Bz, Selected as Forbes Top 150 Startups 2019, launches cookie business with worldwide distributor, Sysco Distributing
- ForgingBlock has implemented Lightning Network and integrated more cryptocurrencies
- Diversity News Magazine Founded by Steven Escobar Has A New Home
- Super Soccer Stars expands its reach in the Tri-state area with the acquisition of Pro Soccer Kids
- Lightcraft International Market Debut
Similar on eTradeWire
- Poverty Encounter at Children's Hunger Fund to receive international honor: the prestigious TEA Thea Award
- TikTok Kids Are Showing More Interest In Trade School VS College
- Fifth Grade Students at Four Peaks Elementary School Visit State Capitol Museum
- 360DigiTMG Announces Trending Technology Courses in Malaysia
- St. Vincent's Academy Dedicates Library to Late Clara McDonough Russo
- The Bear Creek School Hosts How to Communicate in the Teenage Years
- Foothills Community Foundation announces events,Holiday donation projects at the Holland Center
- 2020 Winter Classes and Workshops at The Center for Contemporary Art
- Managing Challenging Preschoolers: The Lifetime Montessori Difference
- First 5 Leading The Way for Maternal Mental Health Care
The collaborative project is funded by a four-year, $1.1 million ADVANCE grant from the National Science Foundation. The NSF ADVANCE program aims to increase the participation and advancement of women in academic science and engineering careers.
"As an educator and interdisciplinary researcher, I am excited for the opportunity to work together with colleagues across the country on this project," said Mattheis, an assistant professor of education in the University's Charter College of Education at Cal State LA and a co-principal investigator on the grant. "I majored in environmental studies and minored in geology at Oberlin College, and taught middle school science for eight years before beginning my academic career."
The project was motivated by the need for increased diversity in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields.
According to an NSF report, "Women receive 39 percent of undergraduate degrees in the earth, atmospheric, and ocean sciences." Additionally, a research paper published in Women in the Geosciences: Practical, Positive Practices Toward Parity indicates that only 20 percent of geoscience faculty are women and even fewer are at the level of full professor.
More on eTradeWire News
- Philadelphia Marathon Names Mother Bethel AME Church A "Cheer Zone" For 30,000+ Runners
- Just 2 Weeks to go Until Military Airlift and Air-to-Air Refuelling 2019
- How To Avoid Scams And Learn Which Programs Are Legitimate Plus Info About Making Money Online
- A New Dream Home Finder Program Is Launched in Beverly Hills
- Testgrid Wins in Pre Employment Screening – 2019 HRD Magazine Service Provider Awards
A primary goal of the research team is to improve work climate conditions and increase gender equity in the geosciences by developing bystander intervention workshops. Research and training of geoscientists often involve time at remote or isolated field sites. In the workshops, participants will learn to appropriately respond to, prevent and interrupt sexual harassment in the classroom, laboratory, or field sites.
Bystander intervention seeks to empower individuals to communicate what is acceptable and expected behavior in the community.
Mattheis will provide social science perspectives regarding data collection and analysis. She will utilize knowledge gained from a national study of LGBTQ+ individuals in STEM to help develop gender and sexuality-diverse inclusive practices for this project.
"We plan to pilot the materials and workshops that we develop at all the partner institutions," said Mattheis, "so I look forward to involving Cal State LA's Department of Geosciences and Environment in these efforts."
Mattheis earned her Ph.D. in educational policy and leadership from the University of Minnesota. Her research interests include sociocultural analysis of policy and the exploration of educational cultures and climates using critical ethnographic qualitative approaches, as well as interdisciplinary mixed methods. She resides in the Silver Lake neighborhood of Los Angeles.
More on eTradeWire News
- National Wholesale Liquidators is Back In Massapequa, New York -Grand Opening Tues November 26 2019
- League of Women Voters of Palm Beach County Issues Critical Reminder: Health Insurance
- Jan McArt's New Play Readings Return to Lynn University on Jan. 13 with Martha Patterson's With Eyes
- South Florida Artist Skip Hartzell Creates Unique Art Inspired by Man's Best Friend
- Can a chiropractor help after a car wreck?
The project is led by Erika Marin-Spiotta from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Other researchers include Billy Williams, of the American Geophysical Union; Blair Schneider, of the Association for Women Geoscientists; and leaders from the Earth Science Women's Network: Rebecca Barnes, of Colorado College, Asmeret Berhe, of the University of California, Merced, and Meredith Hastings, of Brown University.
# # #
California State University, Los Angeles is the premier comprehensive public university in the heart of Los Angeles. Cal State LA is ranked number one in the United States for the upward mobility of its students. Founded in 1947, the University serves more than 28,000 students and has more than 245,000 distinguished alumni. For more information, visit www.CalStateLA.edu.
Cal State LA
- High School Student Attempting Real World Fashion Education -- Thirteen Studios is Born
- Tents N More: Premium Tents for Incredible Camping Experiences
- RE/MAX Classic Hosts 5 Contest Winners to the Philadelphia Phillies Baseball Game
- Chelmsford Private Hire Taxi Company Uses Advanced Technology to Grow Their Fleet to a Record 100 Cars
- MEMEENO Baby Belly Bands Featured on ABC
- The Remote Firm launches a free remote only job board
- Lighted Space: Premium Lighting Solutions for Your Home
- Vip Vacations Inc Named Winner Of The Knot Best Of Weddings 2020
- Larry Kinitsky Named Chairman of the Board of Helen Keller Services
- Market-Connections Resume Service is now certified in "Recruiting Talent with Social Media"
- VIP Vacations Inc. was recently honored as 'Morning Call's Reader's Choice Award'
- Custom Vision Strike Coin a Hit for Boeing
- ChartSpan Announces Partnership Agreement with Healthmonix
- SoKay Releases World's First Protocol For Guiding Lending and Borrowing Behavior Between Friend
- Must Read: Why You Should Avoid DIY Pruning
- Richardson Custom Homes celebrates 35 years in business in SW Florida
- Enjoy the privacy at this home for sale in Coon Rapids!
- Why Architects & Commercial Interior Designers Need to Specify Custom Workbenches
- 2019 Annual Turkey Bowl to be held by music artist, songwriter, entrepreneur Reem of 0017th
- Glutamate Decarboxylase Activity Assay Kit (Fluorometric)