Popular on eTradeWire News
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja, 7 year old National Anthem singer 536
- Transseed Group Receives Two New Business Designations 245
- Founder & CEO of Market Leader, Virtual Rehab, to be Interviewed By Jane King at NASDAQ 205
- Lil Bub, aka Magical Space Cat, Will Make Special Appearance at Snowcats Cat Convention 199
- How to Manage Arrhythmia in Children? 195
- International Experts Discuss Safety Problems of Critical Infrastructures at Ural Federal University 194
- Share Number System is the New Automated Income System 165
- New talent Asalia White Williams Nominated for NAMMY Award 157
- Media Partnership Announced with Aerospace Testing International and the International Telemetering Conference (ITC) 126
- Deeper Than Music Radio is a platform where entertainers share their story
Similar on eTradeWire News
- Evolve IP Named To Gartner's 2018 Magic Quadrant for Contact Center as a Service, North America
- Inspari update - this is how we are gonna penetrade Norway and Sweeden
- Token Sale of Robonomics.network will take place in November 2018
- Media Invite to CodeForFolsom – Cyber Security Boot Camp
- Legal SEO & Digital Marketing for Law Firms & Solicitors in Wales
- maincubes Announces Commissioning, Availability of 2 Large Private Data Center Suites in Amsterdam
- Target Integration joins hands with Zendesk; aims to extend its customer base
- Express Logic Achieves EAL4+ Common Criteria Security Certification for X-Ware IoT Platform®
- A former NY commissioner vs. billion dollar fines in Europe
- Axiomtek Delivers High Performance With its Feature-Rich 1U Rackmount Network Appliance- The NA590
The company employs more than 40 staff in their South Wales office alone – and Brian's very first employee is now a Director of the business.
Growing the business has often been an uphill climb, but last weekend, accompanied by his long time friend, professional boxer Geraint Goodridge, Brian took on a climb of a different kind - the Welsh Three Peaks Challenge.
The Three Peaks Challenge usually takes place in Summer. However, Brian and Geraint's local school, Afan Comprehensive is threatened with closure and urgently needs funds to mount a legal challenge. With fundraising in mind, the two decided to brave the elements and tackle the total mountain distance of 18 miles (29km) and a total ascent of 2334 metres (7657ft), in hazardous February weather. Usually the challenge has to be completed in less than 24-hours – but the superfit duo decided to set themselves a target of completion within 12 hours, despite the added challenge of doing it in heavy snow and blistering winter conditions.
The day of the challenge arrived in the middle of the coldest weekend of the winter. With summit temperatures of -14 degrees, their plan to HALVE the challenge time allowed to climb Snowdon, Cadair Idris and Pen-y-fan looked unlikely. Nobody was expected to reach the summit of a snow and ice-covered Snowdon that day, so tackling three peaks and a considerable drive in inclement weather and braving freezing rain seemed an impossible task, no matter what the timeframe.
However, having already driven to North Wales the previous day, the brave duo decided to forge on with their planned ascent – and it wasn't easy. Throughout much of their first climb the duo could only see yards ahead, the path was not visible due to being covered in snow and ice and at points they were walking waist-deep in snow. Getting caught off track several times, the pair had to rely on phone sat-nav to get back on track, and it was somewhat sobering to see that all the other footprints (and waist prints!) stopped half way up. They were the first to make the summit that day, and had to carve steps into the ice to act as a ladder on the final part of the summit. Brian had been instructed by his marketing team to take lots of photos, but the view from the summit was non-existent, and he wasn't keen to risk frostbite by exposing flesh at -14 degrees, so took a few moments of video footage and gladly put his gloves back on!
More on eTradeWire News
- Vick Brown - One Stop Shop For Everything Needed To Be Successful In Your Online Business
- WHISKEY CROSSING - New Jersey Country Blues Band Performs Live on GingerNewYork TV Show
- Landscaping Fort Collins Colorado
- Amelia Presley (Highway Sisters) Spotted In Cross Plains, Texas
- Deniz Olmez Amazon Consulting Services / Amazon Consultant
- Mayoral Candidate Katrina Foley helped find a way to legally stop the needle exchange program
- Ealing residents join 700,000 on the People's Vote March for the Future
The other two mountains, whilst lower, we not much kinder. The steep climb up Cadair Idris was particularly challenging in driving, icy sleet which was extremely painful. Determined to make the 12 hour window, the daring lads managed to save time via an 'off-piste' descent, aided by sliding on sheets of ice. Their original plan to run up Pen-y-Fan was somewhat thwarted due to exhaustion, but despite slowing to a walking pace, they still completed the challenge in under 12 hours, raising just under £1400 to help the school fight the challenge.
The scale of their achievement was brought home when two experienced climbers had to be rescued from Snowdon later that day – making their Three Peaks Challenge even more remarkable. The duo are now recovering from their climb and preparing for their next ascent – the legal challenge to keep the school open.
"Coming down Snowdon was eerie, the only footprints we saw were our own, and climbing back down the 'ice ladder' we had carved into the mountain was scary. One slip and we would have been in grave danger, but we had to keep pushing on. However, the real challenge, to stop the school from closing, is only just beginning. This school is a cornerstone of the Afan Valley community, so it is vitally important that we do all we can to save it. I'm proud we were able to play our part and we'll be helping the school in any way we can."
Professional boxer Geraint added:
"I work hard to maintain my fight fitness and boxing training is extremely gruelling, so I was amazed how physically challenging this climb was. As Brian says though, the real fight to save the school is only just beginning. Afan Valley is a great school, coming 6th in the annual Real Schools Guide - and closure would see our children leaving home at 7am to reach the alternative school in Margam. It's a senseless decision, so I'm confident this is a fight we can win."
More on eTradeWire News
- Will the Future of Who be Blue for New Time Lord, Jodie Whittaker?
- Alice assignment help for college students
- Inventor Saves Honey Bees! New invention makes destroying Varroa Mites affordable
- Great Gatsby Gala Planned Nov. 10
- River City Exteriors Now Installing Energy Star Replacement Windows
- IAPEN, India launches an ambitious plan to train and place two lakh candidates in nutrition sector by 2021
- NJ Hypnotist to Share Fool Proof Answer to Managing Stress
Cymmer Labour Councillor Scott Jones praised the pair:
"I'm proud of Brian and Geraint, two local residents, who have given phenomenal support to our campaign to save education in the Afan Valley. This closure would have an adverse impact on the health, wellbeing and education of our young people and we will fight it all the way. These funds will be a massive help."
Notes for editors:
Brian Stokes is available for interviews. Company Website: www.itcs.co.uk
Councillor Scott Jones can be contacted on 01639 417770 or mobile 07931 012733, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can view a video showing Brian and Geraint's challenge here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LL1_Z-9cD0
Brian and Geraint's Just Giving page is here: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/brian-sto...
Images available on request
- Miami Beach's Physician Defense Group, LLC (PDG) signed agreements for a range of IT services
- Dashing Dog Rescue New Website Launch
- United Premier Soccer League Names Dave Simmons National Referee Assignor and Director of Officials
- Combatives Academy a unique martial arts journey
- Prevention Efforts Compliment Substance Abuse Treatment
- New Edition of Katherine Philips's translation of Corneille's The Death of Pompey
- Ken La Salle Presents Max Dedge in The Time of The Uniborg
- Drug Abuse Treatment in Easton Helped by Police
- Ray Harvey Announces Release of Gap-Toothed Girl
- Crypto Buying Crypto? SOLAREUM Acquires Kashhcoin
- Hidy Ochiai Karate celebrates Grand Opening in Ashburn Virginia
- Santa Barbara County's oldest continually operating private school visits GranVida Senior Living
- Taking the Archery World by Storm
- Grand Opening Of The Great Republic Pop-up At Highland Park Village, Dallas
- Mikel J. Wilson Announces Release of Death Opens a Window
- "Shades of Evening" the work of Cam DeCaussin Slated for Royse Contemporary this November
- TCWEP Networking Group Opens Up Membership to Business-to-Businesses
- Peak Physical Therapy & Sports Performance announces Erica Soller as Billing Assistant
- MGA Entertainment CEO Isaac Larian honored during Cal State LA's Alumni Awards Gala
- Gulf Coast Village opens new 'Faith and Fitness Trail' to promote healthy living, spirituality