Popular on eTradeWire
- Amazon's Top 4th of July Weekend Longevity Book: Get Free Access to Related Videos 206
- The On It Foundation Helps Professional Athletes and Celebrities Give Back through Fiscal Sponsorship 180
- Onlive Server Announced Indian Cloud VPS Hosting in India with SSD Storage and Unlimited Bandwidth 173
- TVS Quiz Show Network To Produce More than 500 Episodes of New TVS Quiz Show Episodes 169
- Heated Armor Lands First Major Deal!!! 149
- Wormhole Labs Partners With MagicLinks to provide safe and social shopping during COVID19 Pandemic 130
- Good Hospitality Services announces groundbreaking ceremony for new Crown Point Hampton Inn 125
- Consortiums fulfill requirement for random drug testing programs 119
- Drive-thru art experience provides excitement during pandemic 118
- Escape the Room Locations Reopen Nationwide For a Safe And Exciting Night Out 106
Similar on eTradeWire
- Local Fitness Business Hosts Grand Opening Community Event
- New Jersey Residents Can Still Find Local Fitness Options
- GymNation reaches milestone of 1 million member visits!
- For those of you who ever had their shoulder hurt when you wake up in the morning read this
- Ultimate Workout and Recovery and Wellness Wishes Announce Free Services and UWAR Gyms to Seniors and Veterans During Pandemic
- The On It Foundation Helps Professional Athletes and Celebrities Give Back through Fiscal Sponsorship
- GYMUNITE ONLINE SOLUTIONS CORP. Lunches New App, Making Fitness Convenient and Streamlined
- Staying Active and Socially Distant
- Functional Medicine Doctor Flips Script on Anxiety
2020 will mark the 33rd Dakar Gorée swim, where hundreds of Senegalese retrace the same path enslaved Africans traveled some 400 years ago. The Gorée Project will mark the first time in history that an African- American team competes in this symbolic event.
"There is strength in unity," said Ebony Rosemond, founder and executive director of the Maryland based not-for-profit organization. "The African Diaspora needs to come together, especially now, to better protect and support one another. But first, we need to better understand each other. We've put an all-star team together to prepare Howard University alumni, Skylar Smith and Noah Nicholas for this experience; physically, mentally, and culturally. And as viewers, both Senegalese and American, will follow this story."
More on eTradeWire News
- Nationwide Boiler Makes Monetary Donation to Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area in Lieu of Postponed Annual Charity Golf Tournament
- The Constitutional Walking Tour and OnCell Announce Launch of New Philadelphia Visitor App
- Giftapart now available in Canada
- Intracoastal Construction Welcomes Sales Director Alesha Richmond
- Evolve IP Delivers World's Only Omnichannel Contact Center Integrated with Microsoft Teams and Virtual Workspaces
However, out of 47 swimmers, only three identified as African American: Simone Manuel, Lia Neal and Anthony Ervin. According to NCAA's demographic database, there were 22,501 swimmers across all divisions and conferences during the 2017-2018 school year. Notably, only 1.6 percent identified as African American, while 76% identified as white. African Americans are barely present in collegiate swimming as swimmers or coaches. Currently, Howard University is the only HBCU with a swim team. BKS is working to change the sport by creating a web series that showcases Black swimmers excelling in the sport.
BKS' objectives for the Gorée Project are to:
• Destroy the stereotype that Black people can't or don't swim.
• Educate African-Americans and Senegalese about their respective history and culture to build community.
The web series is funded through generous donations from the Black swim community and a crowdsource campaign which will launch July 14, 2020, on Black Kids Swim's website. The Gorée Project was created in a COVID-19 environment and in the midst of Black Lives Matter protests. BKS and it's production team combined innovative videography and live-action screencasting to capture this historic journey.
More on eTradeWire News
- Tim O'Brien Homes Wins 2020 Department of Energy Innovation Award
- StoweAway Productions Develops New Scripted Series "Slave Stealers"
- GreenPointe Developers Welcomes Dream Finders Homes, Lennar and Richmond American Homes to Tributary
- UNRIVALED Launches New Inside the Jersey Profile Featuring WNBA Player Lauren Cox
- Last Chance to Enter to Win a Special-Edition 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4x4 Hand-Picked by Dennis Collins of BLKMTN!
More information on The Gorée Project: https://blackkidsswim.com/the-goree-project-the-beginning/
About Black Kids Swim (BKS):
BKS is a 501c3 organization based in Prince George's County Maryland founded in 2015 to provide access to an increased range of opportunities for Black children by encouraging the development of proficient swim techniques. BKS raises awareness, provides guidance, and serves as the go-to source for information on competitive and non-competitive Black swim team options.
Black Kids Swim
- Isaac Lidsky Discusses His Descent Into Blindness en Route to Becoming a famed Author and Father
- Want to Change the Laws in Your Area?
- Elite Middle and Secondary School Offers Interactive Online Learning Platform
- Digital Defense Announces New Partner Program for Managed Service Providers
- The death of Naya Rivera was an accidental drowning | Criminal Defense and DUI | Red Metric Law
- Mission Fat Hearts Movie Campaign Hopes to Inspire Ripples of Kindness That Turn Into Waves
- Gerber, LLC Hosts "What Should You Be Tracking For Success?"
- American Bar Foundation Welcomes Snell & Wilmer Partner Elizabeth M. Weldon Into the Fellows
- Help for Hotels as They Reopen - Hyperion Biotechnology Offers Legionella Water Testing
- Wellfit Girls announces new leadership transition
- Fort Myers Brewing Company releases a limited-edition Pilsner to benefit boy battling cancer
- Attorney Daniel Vaswani of Red Metric Law releases video discussing Trump's use of federal agents
- Healthy Lee launches Teacher Appreciation Contest
- Junior Achievement of Southwest Florida receives grant from the Community Foundation for $5,000
- COVID-19 Halts Fundraising of Colon Cancer Research in Kansas City
- Fonte Martino Guest House & Estate Wins TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Award for 2020
- Roque Plast S.A. de C.V. Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Command Brands Gel AntiBac
- Parenting Kids with ADHD and Related Challenges Just Got A Lot Easier
- Virtual Play in Pre-Production on The Story Of First Civil Rights Martyrs Harry T. & Harriette Moore
- Find Your ID NYC: Dreamcast McFly's Ode to Body Positivity with New Single "Big Gurl"