Popular on eTradeWire
- Several UK Mortgage businesses have now successfully franchised their operations 473
- Bedfont adds 2 new respiratory specialists to its NObreath® Medical Advisory Board 127
- Academia.edu Picks Marshall Barnes Paper, 'Killing Closed Time-Like Curves', for Special Promotion 124
- South Coast Improvement, Co. wins renovation project at Sunrise Senior Living
- Roofers On Demand Best Roofers
- Lapels Dry Cleaning annual clothing drive to benefit Big Brother Big Sister Foundation
- Jet Direct Mortgage Opens New Branch Office In Wilmington, North Carolina
- PhyberTech: A multi-faceted tech firm founded by tech prodigy Pratik KC
- MommaWork Offers Free Breastfeeding Support to LGBTQ Families
- Executive Order Might Get Citizenship Question Back On Census
Similar on eTradeWire
- AtlasFAI Welcomes Additional Offices in Arizona!
- Keep up with your chiropractic adjustments this summer
- Dharma Platform Partners with Childfund International, Using Real-Time Data to Enhance Outreach to Vulnerable Populations
- Powerful New Book 'Love Loss Light' Speaks to Those in Grief
- CannaBiz Invest Asia Draws Global Medical & Industrial Cannabis Industry Players to Bangkok
- Dr. Aaron Blight Honored with the "Top 100 Leaders in Health Care" Award at IFAH, Vegas 2019
- 10 Key Reasons to attend SMi's 10th Annual Biosimilars Conference
- Dr. Ashley Covington joins Dr. Perry DuRant's dental practice on Lady's Island
- Harmony Grove Recovery Rehab Center Grand Opening!
- HCA of New York Appoints SNCH's Home Care Director to Its Board of Directors
A scientist by training and an astute observer of outcomes, King, throughout his career has sought to improve not just the process of care, but to raise the bar on patient outcomes. Recognizing that up to 20% of patients continue to report some degree of discomfort after knee replacement, Dr. King felt that this was an unacceptable statistic given that more than 500,000 patients now undergo knee replacement annually in the United States.
As techniques and technology have steadily advanced, and as medicine has come to better understand how the body reacts to surgical stress, Dr. King and Kathleen Leavitt PA-C, who has worked by his side for 26 years, together began to craft a personalized care process that ultimately came to be known as AVATAR, an acronym that stands for Alignment of Vital Assets to Accelerate Recovery. The basis of this program is a focus on the end-result outcome pulling together all the assets that achieve the goal of excellence.
More on eTradeWire News
- TEEF! Donates $1,000 to Humane Society
- Discover Canada Rally in Support of SickKids Foundation
- Groundbreaking New App Revolutionizes Millennial Travel
- A+ Editing Website Shutting Down for Maintenance in July
- Cultural Council of Palm Beach County Announces 15th Annual Season of CULTURE & COCKTAILS
While many surgeons and joint replacement programs have placed heavy emphasis on the actual surgery, King and Leavitt realized that many other factors play an important role in getting patients to the goal of a great outcome. These include patient education, preparation for surgery, pre-rehabilitation, surgical stress response management, comprehensive pain management, advanced techniques in anesthesia, immediate and constant mobilization, selected physical therapy and careful monitoring of the patient after surgery. This later piece is called navigation and ensures that nothing falls through the cracks.
Over several years of refining this program, King and Leavitt now allow up to 70% of patients to go home just hours after surgery. While many hospitals are just developing a same-day surgery program, King has been performing outpatient knee and hip replacement for several years and has now performed more same-day total joint replacements than any other surgeon in New England. Modern techniques in surgery and pain management allow this to be done very safely with high levels of patient satisfaction. In fact, Dr. King has shown in his series of patients that hospital readmissions and complications have actually been lower for those patients who went home than for those who stayed in the hospital for several days.
According to King, "Until recently, we did not have the tools to do this. Now it is amazing to see what patients can accomplish with our AVATAR program. We are seeing patients achieve in 3 weeks what used to take 3 months." King further explains, "AVATAR is like a recipe. Each ingredient is critical to the final product." Inherent in this recipe is a staff of ancillary care providers including nurses, therapists and physician assistants who usher patients seamlessly through the process. "We take care of every detail in advance of the surgery, so all the patient has to do is show up. Our value proposition is our relentless commitment to excellent outcomes." Dr. King adds.
More on eTradeWire News
- New Release! Relationships 7 by Piers Anthony is now available from Dreaming Big Publications!
- Intelliloan Named LendingTree Top Ten Lender For Q2 2019
- Dave Goodrich 3D Trio Plays in Culpeper, VA
- Announcing Anonymous Email Address: ANONYMOUSEMAILADDRESS.COM
- Georgia Coalition for the Peoples' Agenda Statement on President Trump's Racist Attacks Against Four Congresswomen
In April 2017, Dr. Moby Parsons and Stacey Riley, PA-C joined Dr. King at the Knee, Hip and Shoulder Center in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Former medical director of the Joint Replacement Center at Wentworth Douglass Hospital, Parsons is a regional expert in knee, hip and shoulder replacement. "Moby has been a long-time friend with a similar commitment to patient care and outcomes. Adding him to our practice was a logical synergy," says King. Parsons is one of only two surgeons in New Hampshire who is an active member of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons and he is a founding member of the New England Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons. "Moby has been able to adapt our AVATAR program to his expertise and extend our leadership in New England in rapid recovery."
Drs. Thomas King and Moby Parsons work at the Knee, Hip and Shoulder Center located inside Portsmouth Regional Hospital. Together they have performed more outpatient joint replacement surgeries than any other orthopaedic practice in New England and are leading experts in rapid recovery. AVATAR is a proprietary care pathway unique to this practice. Dr. King performs surgery at Portsmouth Regional Hospital and Stratham Ambulatory Surgery Center. Dr. Parsons performs surgery at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, Wentworth Douglass Hospital.
To learn more, visit:https://www.orthopedicsnh.com
- AtlasFAI Welcomes Additional Offices in Arizona!
- ACE1 Colorimetric Activity Assay Kit
- Tiger Fuel supports Chesapeake Bay conservation efforts at ten car wash locations
- It's a Publicity Palooza! AuthorYOU Mini-Extravaganza!
- Estate & Asset Protection Law Firm Founder Victoria L Collier On Protecting Digital Assets
- Follow Alice, A Girl Determined To Protect Her Body, Her Future, and Her Heart in "Wasted Pretty"
- A Hurricane Unleashes A Monstrosity From The Past In "The Breach" by Author Edward J. McFadden III
- Sales, Discounts, and Rewards with Passfeed
- ExcelRT Builder 2.0 Allows Spreadsheet Author to Become App Developer
- Nick Cabrera Joins RE/MAX Platinum Realty
- AVAIlL Adds Integration with McNeel's Rhino Modeler
- YINCAE Advanced Materials, LLC. Proudly Announces ISO 9001:2015 Certification
- OKay Network Releases New Billing/Support Platform
- The Waste Land on Earth? An Innovative Exhibition opening
- THE COPELAND KIDS by Cecilia Copeland wins Queen Supreme Best Feature Script at The Queen Palm Int. Film Festival Annual Screening and Awards
- Joe Romas Joins Mequon, Wis., Office of Ameriprise Financial
- Learn More About Our Medical Exterior Design
- Gateway Community Outreach tops Our City Media Readers' Choice voting for Charity Community Service
- Monitoring Temperature for Industrial Heat Treating Ovens
- Sperling Dermatology Celebrates 3- Year Anniversary and Jersey Shore Location Grand Opening