Popular on eTradeWire
- Nike Releases "uprising" A Haitian Revolution Inspired Limited Edition Sneaker 421
- NeoMagic (R) Corporation eCommerce Division MercadoMagico.com Welcomes Prime 6
- Zuckerbergs' Facebook Unfolding Second Act, Doc Olivia P. Friedman Weighs In
- Mo Knows Launches as Platform for Pet Parents to Learn About Pet Nutrition
- Beacon People Solutions Releases HIDDEN TALENTS by Maryanne DiMarzo and Amy Acker
- Dr. Deborah Tannen to Keynote "Empowered Women, Empower Men & Women" on Dec. 5 in San Francisco
- RTCritical introduces a new blog on their website
- WomanUP! Empowers the Next Generation of Real Estate Leaders
- Prince Crowe Signs With Tcb Records
- Calig Kontra - Simian Automatic (Album)
Similar on eTradeWire
- Personal Injury Lawyer Austin DC Law Group
- Trump Portrait Free Speech Lawsuit Against The Smithsonian Now At The US Supreme Court
- Garcia & Artigliere Represents Former Good Samaritan Hospital Patient in Elder Abuse Claim
- Keno Kozie and ALA Bring Technology Training to Legal Industry
- Kelley Kronenberg Adds Attorney Greg Jordan in Orlando
- Menke Celebrates 45 years of Employee Ownership, to Present at the 2019 Employee Owned Conference in Las Vegas
- Snell & Wilmer Partner Ketan S. Vakil Included in the 2019 Orange County Business Journal OC500
- Gaslowitz Frankel Recognized as One of 2020's Best Law Firms in Atlanta
- Ex-Patient Sues "Suboxone for Cash" Opioid Treatment Clinic
- Law Image Announces Results Of Its Customer Satisfaction Survey
In a rapidly evolving field with increasing regulatory oversight, companies dealing with personal or sensitive information should be mindful of their legal obligations with respect to data protection. While securing customer data and ensuring compliance with protection obligation is an obvious area of concern, another important aspect of data protection is having a contingency plan in place in case of an actual date breach.
A company's obligations in case of data breach is now regulated by law in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. All states and DC now have data breach notification laws on the books, requiring companies to timely notify consumers of the breach. Furthermore, recent trend continues toward expansion of information covered by these data protection and strengthening of consumer protection.
A major development in the field of data protection is the newly enacted General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR") in Europe. While a comprehensive discussion of GDPR is beyond the scope of this article, GDPR is one of the most expansive data protection laws in the world. With the passage of GDPR and increasing public concern over data protection, many U.S. states are now strengthening their own data protection laws. Data protection laws in California and Vermont are some of the most stringent in the country. Furthermore, multiple states have amended their data protection laws in 2018, mostly expanding the scope of protected information and clarifying or adding obligations in case of a breach.
More on eTradeWire News
- Dog Collars And More: Premium Supplies To Teach Your Dog All Of The Tricks!
- ConRoca Publishing Announces Release of David Martin Anderson's BEATY BUTTE
- Learn Play Love - Tips for Travel Away From Your Pet
- King of the Go-Go Beat D. Floyd Announces Last Show
- Distroller USA Announces Launch of MikroNerlitos
These regulatory requirements regarding data breach highlight the need for companies to work diligently to create and maintain a data breach response plan. Companies should work with an attorney who is an expert in the field of data protection laws to ensure that they are ready and able to deploy a rapid response in accordance with all the applicable legal requirements should the need arise. Such planning is even more critical for multistate or international operations that may be subject to legal obligations in multiple jurisdictions.
Mr. Lauletta notes that keeping the response plan up to date is just as critical as creating one. Because the field is undergoing such rapid changes across multiple jurisdictions, Mr. Lauletta stresses the importance of ensuring that there is process in place to regularly review and update the response plan. Any change in business operations may trigger the need for a review, such as expansion into new localities or addition of services or operations.
The article will be published in full on the Blog of Mr. Lauletta.
About Frank A. Lauletta
As a general corporate attorney, Frank Lauletta's practice focuses heavily on representing and counseling a broad array of emerging growth and established companies in both the public and private sectors. With his broad legal experience, executive-level background, and vast relationships in the legal, venture capital, and high technology communities, Frank is uniquely suited to serve as outside general counsel to clients. Working closely with executive management teams, Frank currently serves in this capacity to a number of software, telecommunications, and high technology companies throughout the United States.
More on eTradeWire News
- BTI moves on to new look website
- Stock Custom Homes Nears Completion on Pine Ridge Estates Residence
- Lee County Tax Collector office raises money for Golisano
- John Saenger's "Viral Dreams" is a Heart-racing Science-Fiction Adventure
- New Book, Wings Not Strings, Empowers Parents To Let Go With Confidence
Frank A. Lauletta
- Puerto Vallarta is a Haven for Wellness
- MedTrainer Fuels Expansion with Growth Funding from Telescope Partners
- Atlanta Based Positive Arts Movement, Inc. Hosts Annual Hip-Hop Themed Holiday Fundraiser
- Estate & Asset Protection Law Firm Founder Victoria Collier Asks Readers To Remember Veterans
- Green Truck Summit 2020 examines electric truck deployment, transition to alternative fuels
- Laser Welding Firm Gets Much Needed Facelift
- Mr. Mac's donates $2000 to NH Breast Cancer Coalition
- Omnichain™ Expands Executive Team by Adding Gary González as VP of Enterprise Sales & Strategy
- Migration to Jonestown: African Americans in San Francisco
- Fayetteville, AR is the Best City for Marketing Managers
- SmartFinancial Wins Spot in Deloitte's 2019 Technology Fast 500
- Three Secrets to Finding the Best Auto Insurance
- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to Receive SEBAC's Award for Excellence in Awarding Small Business Prime Contracts
- JourneyPure Partners with Mindyra Health to Diagnose, Educate People in Recovery
- BYD Receives Largest Battery-Electric Bus Order in U.S. History
- Dr. Tristan Grimaldo, Adjunct Professor at TWU, Teaching Men's Urological Wellness
- Comedian Sinbad's Latest Tour Comes to the Weinberg Center for the Arts
- $2,500 Check Giveaway for Beaverton High School's Club Hope Program
- Applications Being Accepted for 2020 Research Science Institute at MIT
- Theresa Piasta Launches New Book for Pet Lovers