Popular on eTradeWire
- Color Code Security System, Fintech and Crypto Solutions Launched by Starcave Global 529
- Owner Assisted Yacht Deliveries 435
- The 'Fittest Woman On Earth' Visits Puerto Vallarta 386
- Golf & Luxury When You Visit Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel Romantic Getaway 372
- Emily Bertsch Chosen For Hosted Future Leaders In Travel Retreat Event 365
- Tenon Tours Recognized As A Five-time Honoree Among Inc 2019 5000 Most Successful Companies 249
- New WordPress Plugin Feature: Line Chart Graphing 194
- Learn How to Build a Website From Scratch With Space Doggos 2 192
- American Airlines cancellation policy due to weather 177
- Creighton Construction & Development completes 7-Eleven in Miami, begins 7-Elevens in Florida, Texas 174
Similar on eTradeWire
- About iRemodel Home Renovations
- iRemodel Home Renovations and Improvement
- Mid-Atlantic Home Improvement expands services to include historic restoration
- Munger Enters Second Phase of Three Phase Expansion Project for Toyota of Wallingford
- Intracoastal Construction's Robbie Richmond Named Florida Certified Master Builder
- DOT regulations differ from Clearinghouse requirements
- NH based Clear Choice Home Improvements Ranks on Magazine's List of the Nation's Top 500 Home Remodelers
- MBMA Announces Reed's Metals LLC and Union Corrugating Company as Association's Newest Members
- Silver Star Sound And Electric Announces Full Design And Engineering Services
- Leavitt Machinery Acquires Advantage Learning Solutions
Alten Construction began working on the new 21,000-square-foot state-of-the-art fire station in April 2017, and a ribbon-cutting ceremony was held on May 1, 2019 to commemorate its completion. The project included the demolition of the existing building and construction of a new seismically safe three-story fire station with new building and life safety systems, ADA accessibility and other related improvements.
Fifty-seven firefighters will be stationed at the new building, which is the largest fire station in San Francisco and the main hub fire station for San Francisco proper. One of the most unique aspects of the new fire station are the five slide poles — the majority of which run from the dormitory on the third floor down to the apparatus bay 35 feet below.
"When you walk into the apparatus bay, it's like walking into a cathedral," said Andrew Nortz, vice president of operations for Alten Construction. "You look up and it's pretty nerve-wracking to see the slide poles on the third floor. When you get up there, it gives you butterflies just looking down the chase knowing you're 35 feet up."
The Department of Public Works completed the design of the project, which incorporates high-quality living quarters for the firefighters, modern and upgraded technology and ventilation and exhaust systems for the apparatus bay.
More on eTradeWire News
- Olympic Medalist Monica Aksamit Sets Out on 2020 Olympic Quest
- Chief Internet Marketer CEO launches Radio Show
- Wayra Uk: Black Is The New Black
- Hbma Announces Election Of New Board Members
- First Forensic Criminal Tagging System Installed in Florida
The core elements of the station include updated living and work spaces, including a commercial-grade kitchen with stainless steel appliances, wolf range tops and hoods, barbecue area, outdoor lounge space, private sleeping quarters and a 1,200-square-foot commercial-quality gym with impact floors, fans and wiring for big-screen televisions.
The apparatus bay, which will house one fire engine and one ladder truck, features a new fuel dispensing system, emission control vacuum system, storm water control system, workshop and storage space.
"Fire stations are always interesting because they have a lot of moving space with an industrial style," said Nortz. "Our team loves working with the firefighters, and we appreciate everything they do for this area. Firemen and fire chiefs — all of the ranks — tend to just be down-to-earth people and great to work with because they have a personal connection to the project."
Originally built in 1956, the seismic improvement for Fire Station No. 5 was part of the $420 million Earthquake Safety and Emergency Response (ESER 2010) bond work that dedicated $73.2 million to renovate or replace 23 area fire stations. The new facility is designed to allow the station to be fully operational following an earthquake or other major disaster.
The building was designed to meet the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design's (LEED) Gold certification. The LEED scoring system provides a metric for measuring how sustainable a structure is. LEED-certified buildings are resource efficient, using less water and energy and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
More on eTradeWire News
- The MN Christmas Market at Nicollet Island Pavilion is a Charity Marketplace Featuring MN Brands
- Official Launch of ExhibitDay.com
- OFAC, Global Affairs Canada to speak at Canadian Forum on Global Economic Sanctions in Toronto in TWO WEEKS
- The Art Of Untangling Celebrates 2nd Year Publishing Anniversary
- Braces in Exton Available for All-Inclusive Price of $3,995
During construction, fire service for Fire Station No. 5, located at 1301 Turk St. in San Francisco, was uninterrupted with the deployment of apparatus and personnel from nearby Fire Stations 6 and 38.
About Alten Construction
Founded by Bob and Shannon Alten in 1995, Alten Construction not only offers a full range of commercial construction services but is also a licensed builder, with its own shop, carpenters and construction laborers. Alten Construction serves public and private clients throughout the San Francisco Bay Area with a personal touch.
Over the past 20 years, Alten Construction has grown from a small public works company to employing more than 100 people with annual revenues of $115 million. From tenant improvements to historic buildings to fire stations and schools, the company's experience is extensive, and it completes superior and high-quality projects with leadership demonstrated at all stages of a project.
Alten Construction is committed to green building practices, and the firm has LEED Accredited Professionals on staff. Dedicated to the community, Alten Construction partners with small, local businesses and develops construction professionals through its internship opportunities and in-house training. The commercial construction firm is also affiliated with Marin Builders Association and the North Coast Builders Exchange. For more information, visit www.AltenConstruction.com or call 510-234-4200.
Alicia King Robinson
- Re-Stem Biotech Research Collaboration Featured on Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures' Website
- NHR Presents at the Automotive Testing Expo 2019 in Novi, Michigan
- The New York Stock Exchange edition of the Digital Innovators show features Starcave Global's revolutionary Color Code Security System
- Trump Loving Latino's New Book Encourages Transparent, Well Intentioned Discussion To Bring Americans Closer
- GeoLang Partners with Northdoor plc to deliver award-winning data security solutions
- 'Lost' Guggenheim Portrait Discovered After 93 Years
- LyvEdit, A Unique Real-Time Video Editing App, Launches On iOS
- Create an instant retail pop-up store with WaveLine Merchandiser display kits available at Best Tradeshow Display
- Never Ending Summer is more then just a tour, its a rock album
- Fairfield Gourmet Food Corporation - The Parent Company of David's Cookies Announces the Acquisition of Foxtail Foods
- Doosan Machine Tools Selects MachBase Time-Series Database for Enhanced Edge Computing Capabilities
- Michael Szymanski Earns NAR Short Sales and Foreclosure Resource® Certification
- Otter Learning Expands Childcare Presence in Orlando
- International Grief Institute Advisory Board Member Announced
- The Survival Sign Publishes New Facebook Business Page
- Ben Byron Davis of Red Dead Redemption II joins The Grindhouse Radio
- Jared Goff to Donate $1,000 per Touchdown to Support California Strong
- Steeves and Associates Invited to Attend Microsoft Identity-Driven Security Airlift Event
- Children's Services Foundation of SWFL makes first grants to help fill service gaps
- CGI Franchise Launches a New Website